View Poll Results: What is your favorite fly type to tie?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drys. Adams and Royal Coachmen all day long!

15 30.00%
  • Nymphs! Give me the larvae! Princes and Hare's Ears!

11 22.00%
  • Soft hackles. Ahem. Simple is elegant.

13 26.00%
  • Streamers! Gimme a Gray Ghost!

2 4.00%
  • Steelhead flies float my drift boat!

3 6.00%
  • Full Dress Salmon flies. I have evolved beyond the rest of you...

0 0%
  • Saltwater flies! Bones eat crabs!

3 6.00%
  • Um, I buy my flies. Why are you guys wasting your time!

5 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your favorite fly type to tie?

Adam,
    My Hydro-Psycho Series Caddis Larva is in both the Feathercraft Catalogue, and Rainys Fly Fishing Catalogue. I also have a tutorial of how to tie it for those who want such a tutorial (I thought I forwarded one to you Adam). If I can figure how to get pics on here, I will.

I tye Soft Hackles & Flymphs. I fish those the most. Next are Streamers- bucktail, calftail feather wing. I dabble in nymphs also.

Wow, I'm so new at tying that I can't have a favorite yet. I've tied dries, nymphs, soft-hackle wets, foam terrestrials, spun deer hair poppers and a few odd balls. :) I just tied up some foam hoppers and spiders for the little pond I fish for crappie and bluegill. I've caught trout on my green weenies, BHPT, and GRHE (nymph and dry). This is a great way to learn the sport and see if my creations work, too!

Dave

The Brown, and Chartreause Colored Hydro-Psycho Series Caddis Larva are currently being sold in Feathercraft and Rainys Fly Fishing Catalogues !!!!

I know I am really late on this thread (I am late on this site), it's been more than a year since the last response, but I want to add my two cents. I feel like Jax, it is so much fun to tie a fly that floats high and entices the fish to come to the surface to take it. My favorite fly is a foam humpy I developed some 15-20 years ago, which I call the Foampy. It is the fly you see under my name, and is my signiture fly.

A close second is the H and L Variant, tied in my special way; rather than tying in a second clump of calf tail for the wing, I simply wrap thread over the body section and post the butt ends for wings and trim them. It is much less bulky than the original, which is a Wulff type. It is much more streamlined and floats beautifully, looking so natural.

Ed

A couple of things I should have pointed out; one, I am insistent on the traditional form of dry fly. The hackel, hook and tail should all address the water sitting on the surface. Two, the Foampy can be tied in various color schemes. What you see in the picture is the Adams colors, with the belly in chartreuse. I have most recently been using for the belly, the UTC Mirage Opal tinsel. I also tie the fly in tan foam with brown tail and hackle, but I always use light dun Z-lon for wings. Z-lon sheds water like nothing else, I have tried them all.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.