Thread: Spring Fling

smallstreams.com plankowner jeepster's Avatar

Spring Fling

I took a trip to my favorite destination a few months early this year. Normally I go up every summer. Playing with the 10 day weather forecast almost got me snowed out from getting there but a little change of plans in route and an extra couple hours driving, I arrived. Beautiful weather was about to hit the region for my entire stay. Short sleeves and waders on a beautiful river was the daily grind. The most unusual part of this trip was I never saw another angler anywhere for the five days I was there. You see the state of colorado doesn't officially open until memorial day, lol.

Going through chama was the only option to get to my destination and I had no problem getting through.

I did some small stream fishing on a trib to the big river.

Little jewels were everywhere.

In a habitat section next to the highway. I get a honk every time I'm hooked up.

Most of the time I'm on the headwaters.

Where I usually catch mostly browns I get into bows all day.

We're keyed in on nymphs right now.

Beautiful bows up to 16".

This troot says welcome to my casa. Isn't it grande?

Mucho bonita.

I'll be back.

Holy jeebuses I finally get a brown.

What a trip. The first time I have been here in the springtime. Great fishing with great weather and nobody here can only be summed up as just plain lucky.
    jeepster

smallstreams.com supporter and plankowner
    Very nice---one of my favorite areas in all of _______. I'm surprised the tributary wasn't higher due to run off. Is this the trib featured last spring that generated so much back country hiking and fishing? I'm guessing the main river is filling in the reservoir--that is if I'm right about where I think you are fishing. ;-) I keep promising myself to spend more than a day here, each summer but usually that is all I can manage with all the water in the Creede area to fish. Nothing quite like spinning the dice on the weather and hitting it perfect. A beautiful spring day.

There's not much snow in that region this year so the trib was lower but still off color a bit. I don't know if this trib is the one mentioned. The res if full and what little going in is coming out. I don't know what will happen but my guess is they're holding water until this summer.

The low flows are what prompted me to go early this year. I also wanted to hit the flow on the up swing. In july the flow is on the down swing and has been unpredictable in past years.
    jeepster

Wow! This is the fly fishing in the US most of the Japanese fly fishers imagine.
    Thank you very much for posting it.

Satoshi

smallstreams.com plankowner ofuros's Avatar
    Warms my soul....big wide country, cool fresh water & beautifully speckled trout.
    Fine looking trip.

Ofuros

almost missed this.............. stoked to see that it can fish well this early i had no idea. learn something new everyday ......... at tleast when you are as dumb as me

DD

Beautiful country.. beautiful trout.. two things that are necessities in life

Great trip & pics. Thanks for sharing.
    A.T.

Nice trip! Looks like a nicely flamed cane rod & an OB3 reel. Nice to see someone else using cane.

Thanks guys. That bamboo rod was made for this place and named so. It's a payne 101 7 ½ 5wt. The galvan is an ob4 I bought used from adam many years ago.

That's a fairy 7ft 3wt and an ob2 in my avatar.
    Last edited by jeepster; 06-23-2011 at 10:43 PM.
    jeepster

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.