View Poll Results: What weight rod do you use on your small stream most often?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0/1 wt

4 3.67%
  • 2 wt

20 18.35%
  • 3 wt

48 44.04%
  • 4 wt

31 28.44%
  • 5 wt

6 5.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Small stream rods - What weight do you use most?

I have two Hardy Glass 3 weights that I like to fish on small streams, a 6 footer & a 7 footer.

I fish a 3 wt. alot 7'10 scott rod that I built and a 7' bamboo 4 wt. a garrison 201 that I bought as a blank and completed it. I also fis a 7' 4wt. TL Johon fiberglass that I also built from a blank.

I use a 4 wt right now and that seems to be a great option for the driftless area streams, but im looking to purchase a 2wt for smaller streams and some bluegill fishing, but my 8' 4wt works great right now

I mostly fish a pair of 4 weights, a WW Grigg 8 footer, and a Cabela's 8'6". The Grigg is usually fished with a #3 double taper, the Cabela's a #5 WF line. The Grigg usually sees more dry fly, or small wet/nymph work, while the Cabela's will handle larger nymphs and streamers, as well as dries and wets.

Over the years I have tried many rods and reel combinations, split cane, fibre glass and now carbon fiber. Should I have to choose an all round rod for all the small streams I have fished for over sixty years I would choose an 8ft 6in medium action carbon fiber 5wt with a dull colour DT line very carfully matched to the rod. As most casting is less than 10 meters a 6wt is often the first choice as the rod is more easily loaded with an over weighted line. Only on very small streams which are heavily overgrown is a short rod neccessary and one that I have in mind I used a 6ft 6in split cane rod in the tunnel of trees that overhung the water. That was until I hooked a small salmon which smashed rod line and all. This only goes to show that small streams at certain times of year can hold some very large fish. My daughter has a rather nice expression which fitts this thread "What ever floats your boat is the best!"

My western rods are 4 and 5 wt. Mostly fish with these Tenkara rods, 11 ft Iwana, 13 ft Amago. Put in for an Ito that is adjustable from 13 to 14.7 with Santa...

I put a 2 weight (6') but that is what I would use for a stream that I think I could jump almost 2/3 of the way across and maybe a bit bigger. For anything larger normally a #5 (8'6"). I do have a #7/8 in 10'6" that i use for sea trout.

For me 4wt does the good work. and sometime 5wt too :)

I have a 7 foot TFO 3 weight that I love. I can roll cast it with ease...I have a SA 678 system 1 reel on there loaded with a 4weight wf Lefty Kreh moss green line. Gives me the most options from tossing a small dry to a mid-sized streamer...

Frankly this rod is becoming my go to on most streams and rivers now. If I can't reach a fish with this rod I either move or just tip my hat and find another.

It really depends on the rod that we are using. it looks like 3wt, 4wt and 5wt is the most used.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.