View Poll Results: What weight rod do you use on your small stream most often?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0/1 wt

4 3.67%
  • 2 wt

20 18.35%
  • 3 wt

48 44.04%
  • 4 wt

31 28.44%
  • 5 wt

6 5.50%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Small stream rods - What weight do you use most?

In the Sierra , I consider a small stream to be 4 to 30' accross...but when 30' across we are talking 6" to 12" deep...spring fed . or a low CFS ( under 400 ) freestone... Gus , if you fished , when growing up , you might remember the Clavey , ( off 108 ) or Beaver Creek off 4...A Stream , to me is the same width , with more water ( deeper ) and faster...
    I use a 2 Wt as much as possible... graduating to a 4wt when I have to...The Fall , Hat , Hot , Owens etc

I use an 8ft 4wt Diamondglass rod mostly. The next two most used rods are an early model Orvis 7ft 9in 2wt and a Di-glass 6ft 6in 3wt. For bigger water I might bust out my custom built 8ft 9in 3wt built on a Shikari blank.

Our streams are tiny, tiny flys, small fish, super light lines...

If I had only one choice, it would be a eight foot four weight in four piece.

That would suffice for most water, flys, fish.

Otherwise I use a 9', 11', or 12' 7 to 10 section 6:4 or 7:3 light action Japanese crafted tenkara rod and reversed hackle wet flys.

...and I am brewing lunch streamside.

Fishing solo.

Sharing again, my experiences here.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Hi,

Wow you guys use heavy lines on the streams! I never go above a #3,weight on any stream! Usually alternate between #2, and #3, weight lines with 6ft, and 7ft rods!

On large rivers I'd use a #4, weight and that's my heaviest line.

Mostyn,

I voted for the 3 wt. I share your preference for light lines, but I always keep the option of going larger.

Yesterday after work I visited for the first time a small stream near our new home. The water was high and fast. It is a mean looking place to fish. There is a lot of wood in the water, creating log jams over the best trout living quarters. There are lots of overhanging trees to make casting difficult. I opted for the 5 wt yesterday, because the best way to fish was to hang a streamer under the logs from the upstream side. I'm glad I took the 5. The fishing started slow, but as the evening wore on I caught a number of browns of about ten or eleven inches, and one of fourteen inches. To land them, I had to drag the fish out from under the logs and upstream through heavy currents. One of my 5 wt workhorse rods was a better choice than one of the 3 wt bamboo rods.

Another day I got to a popular stream and found it in near flood stage. I decided to fish anyway, and pulled out a 6 wt graphite rod to cast four inch long streamers. I thought the big streamers would be necessary in the high dirty water. I didn't catch a lot of fish, but I got three between 14 and 20 inches, which were pretty big for this little stream. I found two guys camping in a farmer's pasture. They were rigged up for the small hatches that are common in that month. Most of the time, a 3 wt rod would be fine there. On that day, the campers weren't catching a thing, because they couldn't respond to the stream conditions.

A 3 wt is a delight to use, and I've caught some big fish with my little rods. It's not the size of the fish or the size of the stream that determines the line weight for me; it's the size of the fly and the presentation method. I come across many different fishing conditions, and I want to be able to adjust.

Ernest

2wt... if it's windy i'll use my 5wt if i cannot find a stream that is sheltered by a bluff blocking the direction of the wind

I'm a real newbie and I only have one rod, a 5 wt that I built. I wanted to know what went into building a rod so I could assess the quality of a mass build when I can afford a new stick. I'd like to get a 3 wt as my next rod. The streams I fish are about 20 feet wide and mostly slow (no real hills in Delaware!).

Dave

Cool

I use a 5/6 weight Graphite. Once I get my 4weight Boo rod finished (reel seat, wrapped, & dipped), it will be my small stream rod !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WCCNovice View Post
    I'm a real newbie and I only have one rod, a 5 wt that I built. I wanted to know what went into building a rod so I could assess the quality of a mass build when I can afford a new stick. I'd like to get a 3 wt as my next rod. The streams I fish are about 20 feet wide and mostly slow (no real hills in Delaware!).

Dave
    Dave,

My respect to someone who only has one rod; and who has made it himself! Good luck with the #3, weight, are you making that one also? I'd like to try a 6ft.6in #1, weight rod, I love the feeling of fishing with a lightweight rod and line!

I agree with Mostyn, light on the small streams is the ultimate.
    I fish some very small waters and have fished different weight, and length rods. I purchased a TFO, 6ft 2wt and it is a dream.
    I have only had this rod a few months, but it's been used a great deal, and I love it.

Brk Trt

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.