Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooks hurt!

Hooks hurt!

Aloha, went ono fishing yesterday. Got two nice ones, 37 and 52lbs. Had a big cuda hit a skirt and I didn't even gaff it, just threw it in the box. My friend wanted to get the skirt back in the water and I went to get the trail hook out of the cuda's mouth. Only using my leather man I tried to avoid the teeth, but when I grabbed the hook the fish jumped and put the first hook in my hand. I tried to push the barb through, but the hook was pretty big. I was afraid I might have nicked the artery by my thumb and decided to just head in and go to the emergency room.

The doctor got out the bolt cutters and we got the hook out. The eye of the hook flew across the room.

This is me before my new favorite drug, delodin! It could have been a lot worse, only good place for a dangerous fish is in the box. Now I just need to avoid infection, so no fishing for a while, Mems.

Ok brah, you no like shark feesh wit yo hand eh?

You need it brah.

Wow, gnarly, good thoughts your way.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Mems,
    bad luck there,glad I debarb every thing from #22 up yo big salmon irons .
    tell me more about the new favorite drug,we might get it here in a decade or so .

Dilaudid is a powerful pain killer. I have heard it compared with heroin but that stuff is poison, no comparison. It is on the next tier stronger than Morphine.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Holy moly. Get better, man! That's a crazy big hook...

Good thinking there Mems Going to the emergency room was the right move; The last thing you want to do is lose the use of one of your thumbs. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Jax

Thanks for the comments guys. The hand is doing better, funny how bad I am at using my left hand. Toothbrush, shaving, all tough, but not as bad as wipping my ass! I will get a longer pair of pliers and throw the fish into the box from now on. Funny how stupid things just happen. I should be back on the water in a week or so. Thanks for the well wishes, Don.

Man, I've been contemplating making this one a front pager just for the pictures... LOL. Glad you're healing, Don!

Dilaudid I am alergic to. I stick with dee morphine that Doc prescribes me, and wash it down with a beer !!! Dang, just looking at that hurts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smallstreams.com plankowner ofuros's Avatar
    Now thats a campfire story to tell the grandkids if ever i heard one....cuda...bolt cutters....emergency ward.
    Nice tale Mems, with pictures too. Legendary status.

Just don't let it get infected.....

Ofuros.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.