Thread: Last day woes

Last day woes

Here in New Zealand the 30th of April is the last day of the season for trout fishing so as it was a Saturday decided to visit a lovely spring creek known as the "L2" close to the small township of Lincoln in Canterbury. This is quite deep probably 1.5 to 2 meters deep and as is usual with spring creeks with plentiful weed beds and overgrown banks of very high grasses. An up stream stalk revealed no worth while trout, all that were left were small maiden fish less than 30cm, this is a renowned big fish water. Perhaps they had all moved up stream towards the spawning grounds. Stalking involves a total concentration on the water with the aid of polariods and to use a Kiwl expression " Bugger me days" I missed an earthquake crack on the bank and came a right pearler. Lucky me I didn't break a leg but all the gear went to hell and back including my fly box which flew into the swift flowing water; an eddy took it to the deep weter where it sank. So it was By-by to 300 flies, my prised nymphs, wee wets and spiders. I wish that I could report success but I blanked. So much for the "One fly competition" the great Gold Ribbed Hare Ear Nymph did not perform!
    The blessing is that I have all winter to enjoy the cold dark evenings replacing the flies I lost at the vice and putting them in a floating box.

Hi heathcote; Sorry to hear of your unfortunate technique of offering all your flys up for the trouts approval at one go Not comming off. Bad luck mate you have my sympathy.

We in the North Island still have to the end of June in most places before most of the Rivers and streams close.
    Not that it matters much at this time as the Wind and Rain are sure ruling supreme. Still most flyfishers live for the Next Time Out on the water. Hope the fly tying goes well and the recipes have the necessary Spice to bring the fish on the bite Next Season. Have Fun. Jax

heathcote,

Losing a fly box filled with the results of one's long persistent effort is a disastrous event. But at least you are OK. In Japan, we call it "lucky in the unlucky". Now, you can start the next season with all newly made flies

Satoshi

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi View Post
    heathcote,

In Japan, we call it "lucky in the unlucky". Now, you can start the next season with all newly made flies

Satoshi
    Very, very wise Satoshi.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.