Thread: Two Streams

Two Streams

I've been a bit slow off the mark this season but last weekend I got my act together and headed up to Exmoor. The planned destination had to be abandoned because the hunt were out, fifty horses and a pack of hounds tends to spoil the tranquillity of a small stream!
    So we headed to the Badgworthy Water, a small rocky upland stream on the Somerset/Devon border. After a dry spell the water was very low and there was that horrible hazy light that somehow makes the water seem even clearer. Nearly all the trout were lying out in the open flat water of the bigger pools and they generally saw me before they saw my fly :oops:
    Still it was good to be out and a handful of tiddlers came my way :)

Yesterday was a brighter warmer day and we headed to the Axe, a much more fertile Devon river in rich dairy country. I can't say the results were much better on the fishing front but with flowers blooming, caddis hatching and swallows swooping low over the water it felt much more like the trout season had started :) Axe trout have a reputation for being fairly easy to please when rising and yesterday was no different. Every one of the few fish that was rising came up for my fly, it was just a pity there weren't more of them! Best fish of the afternoon was a nice well conditioned 12 incher.

The fly - not very caddis like but the fish don't seem to mind!

Newly formd ox bow. Bit of a pity as there was a very good pool on the bend that has now been bypassed.

A sea trout smolt. A young 'un on his way downstream to sea. With luck he (or she) will be back later this year weighing about 1lb or maybe next year when it might go anything from 2 - 4lb (and I almost certainly won't catch it!)

Andy

Re: Two Streams

Great looking water. I could enjoy fishing those streams.
    I like the shot of the bridge with the daffodils in bloom.

My opener is still 12 days away and yesterday I was shovelling snow on the driveway!
    I am guessing you never had the experience of walking thru snow wearing felt soles.
    It can help with the backcast being 6"taller.

Westcountry,

Really nice looking streams in a beautiful settings!
    I'm always impressed by picturesque scenery and streams when I look at posts from England (or Wales).
    The fish is beautiful. The relatively big eye to the head tells the fish will grow big.
    I too just caught a smolt yesterday, and I will post it soon.

Satoshi

smallstreams.com plankowner ofuros's Avatar

Westcountry,

Historic surrounds, lemon yellow daffodils & cool clear running water....
    ..spring is in the air.
    Lovely looking spot for some trout fishing.

Ofuros
    Out & about....looking for trout.
    https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Andy,

Very impressive pics from a beautiful landscape. The early spring conditions often look better than the real fishing situation is. Same as in my region. I'm sure it needs a few more weeks and the fishing succes fits to your great looking streams. Would rearly like to see more.

Regards

Thomas

Pretty countryside, I get two brit fly fishing magazines, I always hope for articles about Exmoor fishing.

That's a great looking fly. Very buggy. Beautiful country. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome.

Your story is the reason why this place exists.

My streams often bow and back pool like that.

My best streams.

That list line made me laugh. Good report.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.