Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooters?

Shooters?

I have more and more become very much involved with my 9mm pistol of late (an S&W M&P). Anyone else here pistol people? Anyone pack on stream? I'm thinking my Concealed carry license is something I need...

My little friend:

Since that pic was made, I've swapped the mag release to lefty and changed the backstrap out to the large version. Last night I changed the white front sight dot to neon orange. Tomorrow night I'll run ~150 rounds through her at the local range.

Re: Shooters?

Not a pistol guy, but there's something about that picture that's mesmerizing.
    Makes the testosterone boil.

LOL... that's totally funny.

How about when I add my most often carried knife?

FWIW, I love going to the range. I grew up with lots of guns, but only recently have gotten back in to them.

matte black steel. so sexy.

Titles are important to me Gerard's Avatar

Nice Gus. I’m a glock man myself. :D

Of course, I also enjoy skeet and love my 28" Perazzi MX8 O/U for it.

"The fishing was so good I thought I was there yesterday."

Sweet can on that pistol, Gerard!

I wanted to be a Glock man, but they just aren't comfortable for me, and up until the Gen4, I didn't like the righty mag release. I may still get one sometime though... that scattergun is dead sexy!

Titles are important to me Gerard's Avatar

Speaking of gen4, I love the new fine frame texture (called RTF2) of the new gen4 models and had mine replaced by Glock in Austria last year – unfortunately they only do this at the factory. I didn’t like the grip pattern of the gen 4 slide, so kept mine stock.

Below is a gen 4 pic for reference.

At the same time I added an oval mag release which I like much better than the stock one which was pretty crappy.

Standard

Oval
    "The fishing was so good I thought I was there yesterday."

Very cool. I'm not too sure about the slide either... but from a fishy perspective they look like gill slits...

I waited and waited for the Gen4's, but the grip angle (while improved) still throws me off.

smallstreams.com plankowner martin_b's Avatar

Pack on stream? I don't do that at all, although I just got myself a Hatson air riffle to get rid of some birds that are feeding a little bit too much on the juvenile fish in one of the becks around here.

Why would anyone pack heat while fishing if I may ask?

Martin

I have a rifle and a shotgun for hunting. I do not have a handgun, and I don't know why someone would carry one while fishing.

I live in the Upper Midwest. We do not have poisonous snakes here. Is that a reason for carrying a gun?

I grew up a hundred miles north of my current home. As kids we fished and camped overnight in the woods, and we would meet a bear (they are all black bears here) every once in a while, and on rare occasions a moose. I never felt threatened. The bears and moose gave us another story to tell when we got home.

At our last place we had bears in the yard and on our deck every spring and summer, and they were in the woods where I fished. A few times I inadvertently got too close, within 50 feet or so, of a bear and her cubs. Each time both the bear and I were happy to retreat without harming the other.

We also had timber wolves in the neighborhood, but to even see a wolf or two was an occasion, and they never threatened fishermen. The wolves sometimes killed hunting dogs.

We moved last summer to a new place, and here we have fewer wolves, but we have many coyotes. I've seen them cross the pasture late in the day. Still, I don''t expect they'd be a threat to a fisherman. The farmer across the road has a bear that dens up for the winter a couple hundred yards from the barn. It's a nice bear, and he wants to keep her, because if she left, a not so nice one might take over the territory.

It would be a shame to kill a wild animal with a handgun if you didn't have to do it. My friends and I have been in the woods many thousands of days among us over the last fifty years, with never a need for a gun.

The most dangerous creatures in our woods are certain ticks and mosquitoes that carry some nasty diseases. I'm not sure I could shoot a tick off my waders without tearing the fabric.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.