Thread: Late season New Mexico pheasant hunt

Late season New Mexico pheasant hunt

I had the opportunity to hunt on a private reserve/ranch on the eastern part of the state. I can't even begin to describe the amount of wildlife I saw. There were turkeys by the hundred, too many geese to count, ducks, herds of deer and of course, the pheasants. Granted it is a controlled enviroment and the pressure next to nil; sometimes I was the only one out shooting. It was a superb day to be in the field with my dog, birds and a Spanish SXS.

Here is my lab, "Tizona" with some of the day's pheasant and chuker.

Re: Late season New Mexico pheasant hunt

That looks like fun. We just finished up our quail season here in Arizona. Stripped down the gun and cleaned everything and put it away for a long 8 month wait. Nice to see others out enjoying the upland shooting. Thanks for sharing. If you are ever looking for some help carrying all those birds, I'm only a few hours away. Pheasant sounds like fun.

Ben

Re: Late season New Mexico pheasant hunt

8 months for the wingshooting season is a long for me. I usually start with Dusky Grouse and Dove in September. Our normal pheasant season here in NM is only four days long. I was fortunate enough to be invited to a private reserve which season lasts until mid-March and the invite was a rather a quick offer and decision.

When I want to do pheasants I go to Kansas. It is world class upland hunting on wild birds. it is about a six hour drive (even with my driving) but is well worth it. I normally go two to three times during the season. The WIHA's are many and the birds counts are very good - my buddy told me that it was the best he had seen in years (I didn't go this year; second job, finances, kids are school, blah, blah...). Our quail season ends this weekend - I won't go because I am training a dog for an acquaintance. Next season, I will go to KS for some pheasants.

All in all, both types of hunting are good and fun. Not say material for tying flies and tasty meals.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.