Hello all,
well I've gone and done it.... Had my first dabble on a small stream since I was about 12 - The river Erewash at Toton to be precise. I didn't catch anything, didn't even get a bite, clumsily trotting maggots...
BUT - it was like a road to Damascus moment - the shallow meandering stream was just begging for a fly, A fly I have not cast for more than half a lifetime (I'm 35 now).
so i have started reading (I read a lot) and dusted off the old shakespeare blackfly 7ft #7 rod - even the flyline still looks in ok nick after the best part of 20 years at the back of a cupboard. And an hours practise in a field has confirmed that I havn't forgotten how to cast (though the ache is telling me that i am not as young as once i was and that there are muscles that my body had forgotten about that need toning up!)

So i am all set! Ok so the rod is on the heavy side - but i'll manage won't I - the river is so small it will be more like dapping than casting. I just need that first fish to get my confidence moving and the motivation going - so hopefully a perch or chub will oblige and I will be on my way...

So I'll post my progress for better or worse - shout if I need help - and graciously accept any assistance that that those with more experience can offer - be they local or on the opposite side of the world.
thanks for having me,
James