Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fly line color dos it matter

Hybrid View

fly line color dos it matter

what do you guys thinkd.....does fly line color matter to the fish..... flourescent guady vs drab and subtle. I have my own opinion which runs to subtle but what do you guys think

DD

It may not matter to the fish,although I suspect it does,but it matters to me.I prefer muted colors and on my reels are SA's XPS lines in Gray.The newest line is an Orvis Trout DT line in a light green that Orvis calls willow that I bought when Little River Outfitters was out of the SA XPS I have used for the last ten years.

smallstreams.com plankowner jeepster's Avatar
    I think you catch more fish with the dark lines. I notice how well you can see someone casting a bright line through the air over the water and that can’t be good. I don’t want anyone seeing me including the fish. I use a dull light green for nymphing so I can see the drifts very well and I’m targeting fish on the bottom. I use a dark green or a mustard line for anything looking up.

I used to use light gray floating and dark gray sink but the lines I like don’t come in that color anymore so that’s another issue. It use to be simple.
    jeepster

That is a great question. I think it might, but when you look at the entire picture, I think it is a very small piece of the puzzle. I think a fish refusing a fly has a lot more to do with how it looks in the water than the fly line in the air. I would venture to guess that a properly presented fly with a flaming orange fly line will catch as many fish as a properly presented fly with a willow colored line. BTW...I own both and I can't say that either line outperforms the other.

Let's face it...how many times have we made a perfect cast/drift with no result...and how many times have we butchered a cast, a retrieve and lo and behold...fish on!!!

Fun topic to discuss...but I think it is really just a minor piece of the puzzle.

I don't think it matters, I use Rio Selective and Cortland peach on most of my reels and really have'nt notice a difference. Like someone else had said presentation matters.

Depends, Henry's fork, the ranch, olive green. Mountain stream casting up stream, no biggie. New Zealand gin clear water, no orange lines. For bones, big difference, I like the clear cortland floating line, doesn't spook the fish. Lit up mahi, doesn't make a difference. If you cast and the fish spooks, then it did make a difference. I like olive green for spring creeks and clear water. For high water runoff, it doesn't really matter. Like I said it depends. Mems.

I've always leaned toward darker colors for sinking lines. As far as floating lines go, I think all lines regardless of color appear black when viewed from underwater.

Honestly, I don't think it matters. I have used orange, white, olive, green, yellow and I think even a blue and didn't notice much of a difference.

Just repeating what I've gotten out of a few UK based fly boards, but it's the size of the water (still or moving) that may bring line colour into play. Smaller moving or still water (lake/pond/ressie) a darker/drab line does appear to bring something to the Party. 'Big' moving water? Not a whit's difference although leader length could be a major/player factor.
    fae

No matter what the water, if it's a floating line, you need to be able to see it. Intermediate lines, not so much because you have a tight line to the fly and can feel the take. Same with a sunk line. I doubt color makes a whole hell of a lot of difference on a sunk line, as long as it's not some ridiculous bright color. The fish don't seem to mind a black gray, or brown rope towing a fly behind it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.