Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fly line color dos it matter

Depends, Henry's fork, the ranch, olive green. Mountain stream casting up stream, no biggie. New Zealand gin clear water, no orange lines. For bones, big difference, I like the clear cortland floating line, doesn't spook the fish. Lit up mahi, doesn't make a difference. If you cast and the fish spooks, then it did make a difference. I like olive green for spring creeks and clear water. For high water runoff, it doesn't really matter. Like I said it depends. Mems.

Honestly, I don't think it matters. I have used orange, white, olive, green, yellow and I think even a blue and didn't notice much of a difference.

I've always leaned toward darker colors for sinking lines. As far as floating lines go, I think all lines regardless of color appear black when viewed from underwater.

Just repeating what I've gotten out of a few UK based fly boards, but it's the size of the water (still or moving) that may bring line colour into play. Smaller moving or still water (lake/pond/ressie) a darker/drab line does appear to bring something to the Party. 'Big' moving water? Not a whit's difference although leader length could be a major/player factor.
    fae

No matter what the water, if it's a floating line, you need to be able to see it. Intermediate lines, not so much because you have a tight line to the fly and can feel the take. Same with a sunk line. I doubt color makes a whole hell of a lot of difference on a sunk line, as long as it's not some ridiculous bright color. The fish don't seem to mind a black gray, or brown rope towing a fly behind it.

I bought an olive line the other days as opposed to the ivory color that the line came in. My purpose was stealth. After the line was all spooled up and I got home it dawned on me, the sky is not a dark color! We often judge things based on what we can see, not what the fish see. Clearly, an olive line is going to stand out more with a blue sky or white clouds above it than the ivory would have! As stated by someone else, with the light hitting the line from above, it will probably stand out and look dark from below no matter what the color. I think it may be time to break out the waterproof camera and some different colored lines.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.