Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fly line color dos it matter

fly line color dos it matter

what do you guys thinkd.....does fly line color matter to the fish..... flourescent guady vs drab and subtle. I have my own opinion which runs to subtle but what do you guys think

DD

Re: fly line color dos it matter

I don't know if fly line color matters to the fish.

I like subtle line colors myself, and I try to use a long enough leader so that maybe the fish won't see the line anyway.

I have one new flourescent orange line that I have never used. Recently I read an article about dyeing fly lines. Maybe I'll dye this one to another shade, and then put it on a reel.

i agree with ernest. i don't think fly line color matters too much to the fish. I think if they can recognize your fly line, you're probably not gonna catch much anyways. color is more for the angler for low visibility conditions and mending purposes. I personally like drab colored fly lines, but i've fished some rigs with drab colored fly line in low light, and it's not so easy. i would say that a flourescent green or chartruese would me a good compromise.

I don't think it matters.The right size and length of the leader should keep the trout from seeing the line.While a nice olive drab is more pleasing to the eye one would be hurting theirself to not fish a Cortland peach because of it's color.I also use a WTF #4 bright yellow Berkeley line that is the best in that weight that I have ever had on a reel.It doesn't hinder my fish catching.
    Will

Not sure if it really matters much; except in my own psyche. I prefer to use gray, cream, olive shades only because I feel better about their subtle color. I've read about one belief that matching the colors the fish see through the surface is preferred for a camo effect, so I'm surprised I have not come across a sky blue-colored line. There may be a blue line out there, just haven't seen it. I personally get no benefit from a brighter line, so I figure why take the chance.

I like the ivory or white colored lines myself, I can see them very well, yet they have a natural look, bright, but not garish, methinks.
    Mike B

It may not matter to the fish,although I suspect it does,but it matters to me.I prefer muted colors and on my reels are SA's XPS lines in Gray.The newest line is an Orvis Trout DT line in a light green that Orvis calls willow that I bought when Little River Outfitters was out of the SA XPS I have used for the last ten years.

smallstreams.com plankowner jeepster's Avatar
    I think you catch more fish with the dark lines. I notice how well you can see someone casting a bright line through the air over the water and that can’t be good. I don’t want anyone seeing me including the fish. I use a dull light green for nymphing so I can see the drifts very well and I’m targeting fish on the bottom. I use a dark green or a mustard line for anything looking up.

I used to use light gray floating and dark gray sink but the lines I like don’t come in that color anymore so that’s another issue. It use to be simple.
    jeepster

That is a great question. I think it might, but when you look at the entire picture, I think it is a very small piece of the puzzle. I think a fish refusing a fly has a lot more to do with how it looks in the water than the fly line in the air. I would venture to guess that a properly presented fly with a flaming orange fly line will catch as many fish as a properly presented fly with a willow colored line. BTW...I own both and I can't say that either line outperforms the other.

Let's face it...how many times have we made a perfect cast/drift with no result...and how many times have we butchered a cast, a retrieve and lo and behold...fish on!!!

Fun topic to discuss...but I think it is really just a minor piece of the puzzle.

I don't think it matters, I use Rio Selective and Cortland peach on most of my reels and really have'nt notice a difference. Like someone else had said presentation matters.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.