Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: SNO-FLY VIII (Midge Swap) Officially Closed (List Is Full)

Re: SNO-FLY VIII (Midge Swap) Officially Closed (List Is Fu

I love the flies! Thanks so much to everyone who participated. I feel inspired. Looking forward to trying these on my next fishing trip.

Tying video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-uJukCcemI

Thanks Gareth. I would appreciate anyone who wants to step up and take pics of the Midges. I will post my recipes Monday. I am soooooooo ready for a good fishing trip !!!!!!!!! ;)

My apologies guys, I was a little pressed for time over the weekend, but will make sure to take the photos by tomorrow evening at the latest.

Ahhhhhhhh...the suspense !!!! LMAO BTW (& just a bit off the subject of Midges for a moment), the 2011 Feathercraft Catalogue is out, and you will be able to see my Hydro-Psycho Series Caddis Larva . Later, and by August, it will be in Rainys Catalogue (and hopefully with all the colors; it only shows the Chartreause and Brown in the Feathercraft Catalogue). I do have a Tutorial video posted on my Facebook profile for this pattern. Also the 2011 Feathercraft Fly Tying Contest is in full swing, so get those patterns in !!! You could get your juicy pattern into production (plus win some nice prizes to boot. I surely am enjoying that Renzetti that was just one of the many prizes.
    OK, back to the Midges. I hope you will get a hold of Rick Takahashi's book, "Modern Midges". Besides a lot of great patterns (with pics and recipes) in all the Midge Stages (you will recognize some past and present Sno-Fly Tying veterans), there is some fantastic advise on Midge fishing tactics. Fishing a size 32 Adult Midge is not as hard as you may think (even though some people still don't believe you can catch large trout on such a small hook).
    Thanks again to all of you who contributed (Just such a fantastic box of Midges. Hope to see all of you next year. With that said, here are my recipes to the Midges I submitted.

#16 Virtual Horse Fly (proving not all Diptera are microscopic):

Hook: Gamakatsu C12 size 16 ( or TMC 2487)
    Thread: 8/0 Gray

Step 1. Start gray thread behind hook eye. In a small square of Organza (this fabric is used in wedding veils and can be bought at Fabric Stores like Jo Annes) you will enclose 2 red midge glass beads; catch this right behind the hook eye and figure 8 wrap twice in between the two beads (enclosed in the organza). Wrap down a bit to where the Fly Thorax will begin, then snip off the excess. Dab some super glue to the wrapped down thorax so the eyes don't turn on you.

Step 2. Wrap thread down to half way of the hook curve. Tie in a small strip of Closed Cell foam (white). You will color this strip of closed cell foam with an Olive Prisma Color Marker. Now tie in 10 strips of Peacock Herl at the sam spot. Wrap the strip of foam up the hook to where the Thorax begins. Tie off and snip off the excess. Now take one strand of Peacock Herl and wrap up the hook to where Thorax begins and tie off (snip off the excess). Do the same with a second strand of Peacock Herl (covering the gaps that were left on the body). Take remaining strands of Peacock Herl and pull up and over body, tie off and snip excess.

Step 3. Take a small strand of White Flexi Floss, tie in at Thorax and wrap up to behind the eyes, tehn tie off. You will then bring the thread back to where the Thorax begins. Color the Thorax with Olive Prisma color, then Blue Prisma Color over that. Turn the fly upside down. You are ready to add the insect legs (Vili Auti Style).

Step 4. Vili Auti insect legs. Pluck a Pheaseant Fiber ( there will be a bit of a hooked foot at the end depending on the speed of pluck. You may want to trim the hooked foot a bit. Bring the Pheasant up and under the thread, I usually have the hooked foot on the leg faceing toward the eyes, pull the leg into proper length and bring the second Pheasant fiber up and under the thread, gentley pulling it to the same leg length. Add Super Glue in front of and behind the base of the legs, and trim excess carefully. You will bring the thread to the next position for the next set legs, repeating this step for all six legs. I find that watching Oliver Edwards Tying his Hydropsyche Caddis on Essential Elements demonstrates the Vili Auti Style of adding Insect legs the best (I do have a filmed tutorial I hope I can post at a later date; you can also watch my Hydo-Psycho Seres Caddis Larva Video on my Facebook Profile page to get an idea of how to do Vili Auti style legs).

Step 5. I bring thread back up between legs (all six) carefully to where the Thorax begins. I will touch up the thorax with Blue Prisma Color marker. I bring the Fly upright and tie in two strips of Stalcup Mdalian sheeting (make an x with the two strips and secure tie in at the x). I tie in two strands of Peacock sword, and wrap twice, then tie off. I carefully whip finish behing the first rear set of legs (be carefule as to not catch the legs up in the whip finish.

Step 6. I coat the Thorax & Eyes with Sally Hansen's hard as nails (you will want more then one coat). Look how realistic and glowing the eyes look. Nice Irridescent Blue/Green Thorax comes out with the Nail Polish. Looks like the real thing (make sure yer spouse don't get the Fly Swatter). I assure you the Trout, Grayling (Bass or any other Pan Fish) will think your Horse Fly is real and slam it !!! Where there is water, there are Horse Flies; and where there are Horse Flies and water, there are hungry fish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
    Please feel free to e-mail me if you have tying questions (or you can call).

Size 30 Dead Virgin Pupa

Hook: TMC 518 Size 30
    Thread: 14/0 Black
    Tail: Lemon Wood Duck
    Body: UV Blue Strand of Angel Hair (can find this amongst the strands of Peacock Angel Hair Pack). Coat with Sally hansens Hard as Nails (body up to 3/4 hook shank)
    Thorax: Tie 3 to 4 strands of Lemon Wood Duck. Tie in strand of Blue Peacock Sword & wrap twice, tie off, trim excess. Bring strands of Lemon Wood Duck up and over, tie off then whip finish
    ***Note: I dowse with floatant to give it a bit of a lift and fish just a bit below surface film.

#32 Dead Virgin Cripple

Hook: TMC 518 size 32
    Thread: 14/0 Gray
    Body: Blue UV strand of Angel Hair (can be found amongst Peacock Angel Hair Strands); coat with Sally Hansens Hard as Nails (clear). Body is 3/4 hook shank.
    Wing: Natural CDC tied Down Wing.
    Head: Callibeatis UV Ice Dubbing dubbed lightly & Whip Finish.

**** Note: Both the #30 Pupa, and #32 Cripple are fished with a 7x or an 8x tippet.
    Please feel free to e-mail, PM, or call me if you have any questions !!! Tight Lines !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Larson (Alpinefly)

Sorry for the lateness in getting around to the photos guys, but hopefully this is worth the wait...awesome midges! Love them!

Hopefully I've managed to get them all in, let me know if not. All below for you viewing pleasure in alphabetical order.

Well done guys!

Andy Baird - #28 Ghost Midge

Gareth Lewis - #24 Chironomid Emerger

Jax - #20 Blushing Midge

John Larson - #16 Virtual Horse Fly

John Larson - #30 Dead Virgin Pupa

John Larson - #32 Dead Virgin Cripple

Michael Johnson - #20 Pankin Ho Zebra

Mike Hampe - #24 Reverse Shuttlecock

Niklas Dahlin - #20 Lazy Man's Black Gnat

Oldman - #16 Red Pupa

Reelsister - #20 Midge Loop Wing Emerger

Roy Christie - #28 Reverse Parachute Emerger

Salmonid - #32 Sno-Fly

Troutguy - #20 Emerger

Very nice Gareth !!!!!!! Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!! Ready for a major road trip and some serious Midge fishing !!!!!!!!!! ;)

Excellent Photos Gareth and, what a great selection. Well done all. Jax

***To all tyers on the Sno-Fly VIII list.*** If you have not posted your pattern recipe, please do so !!!!!!!!!!!!THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey all you Sno-Fly Tyers, still waiting for those of you who have not yet posted your midge recipes to get them posted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.