Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SNO-FLY VIII (Midge Swap) Officially Closed (List Is Full)

SNO-FLY VIII (Midge Swap) Officially Closed (List Is Full)

Fall is here, though it is hard to imagine right now in Tucson, Arizona (& NO IT IS NOT A DRY HEAT). It is at this time each year we look toward the Holiday Seasons, and also time for the Annual Sno-Fly Midge Swap. Thanks to the many great veteran Midge Tyers over the years, & Rick Takahashi's book Modern Midges, which came out last year, this swap has become well known and a showcase for modern cutting edge Midge Design .
    Last year we had two list of tyers, and still some had to be turned back (I certainly apologize to those that were unable to get on the list last year). Here is your opportunity. I must let you know that the list fills up fast, so sign up. You will be glad you did.
    I hope this year, that each one of you on the list will research your local midge hatch (Diptera, Chironomid, etc.) & work to copy a local species. The midge pattern you tie can be any size that will copy a Midge at the Larva, Pupa, Emerger, or Adult Stage.
    Deadline to send these midges in will be December 6th. This gives you plenty of time.
    Make sure if you sign up on this list, you will commit (NO CHUFFERS ALLOWED) !!!
    All Midges should be Toe Tagged with Name & Size, Your Name & e-mail address.
    You can post the recipe on here.
    Please send your midges in a Bubble Mailer (It protects the lovely Trout Candy you created).
    Include another Self Addressed & Stamped Bubble Mailer inside. I promise your package will be returned promptly & with your midges well protected & undamaged.
    Each year, one of the boxes are donated to Casting For Recovery (the women have always appreciated our donated box). I would also like to add a donation box for Project Healing Waters (our Veterans deserve this). THANKS & I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR MIDGE CONTRIBUTION !!!

1. John Larson (Alpinefly) SWAPMEISTER #16 Virtual Horse Fly; #32 Dead Virgin Pupa; #30 Dead Virgin Cripple
    2. Andrew Baird Received
    3. Roy Christie
    4. oldman RECEIVED
    5. Jax RECEIVED
    6.garethl RECEIVED
    7. Niklas Dahlin RECEIVED
    8. Michael Johnson Received
    9. Mike Hampe (crackleback) RECEIVED
    10. Salmonid Received
    11. avril RECEIVED
    12. troutguy Received
    13. Donated Box to Casting For Recovery
    14. Donated Box to Project Healing Waters

Re: SNO-FLY VIII (Midge Swap)

i would like to take part in the midge swap but i can't add my name to the list my name is dick wemmell my e-mail address is creativetyers@aol.com i go by the name oldman. if you could help me out i would appreciate it tight lines the oldman

Oh yes, here we go!
    I'll be working on something fresh and new using a hook steeped in US midge tying history... Mustad 94840 #28
    A pattern for those who work the top 2" of water.
    Thanks John, REALLY looking forward to this!

Andy

PS @ Roy, how many Sno-fly swaps have you done now?

dunno, Andy, six? seven?
    lots anyway.. and here's another one.

John, it's good to see Sno-Fly alive and well
    Thank you for the invite.
    Mine will be on a 94840 also, another 28

Hi, Dick, welcome to Sno-Fly VIII

cheers,
    Roy

Welcome to Sno-Fly Dick !!!! We have plenty of spots left to fill. Jax is joining as well, but will be donating his box to a charity Fly Fishing organization (he says he has never tied midges in Scottish anger before; hmmmmm does that mean blood red Chironomid ??? lol :P ). Please feel free to share your midge knowledge on this post. I like to try to make this educational :ugeek: . Again, everyone come back with a fantastic box of midges (a pretty nice Christmas present). I may be a bit slow on response since my computer is in for repairs (some hacker on facebook got past my firewall with a virus & crashed it good :x ). Let's just say Andy :think: that Roy is a Veteran Sno-Fly tyer (pretty much has been in every one of these swaps from what I know). Got about 7 spots left I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    Mine will be on a 94840 also, another 28
    yeah.... didn't think they made them anymore, must be few knocking about ;)

94840's are the standard Mustad hook (especially for Dry Fly); Mustad still puts them out. I still use them once in awhile. I have been wishing that someone would produce a long shank hook in #32, #30, 28, etc.

my flies are ready please let me have the address so i can mail them tight lines dick

Wow Dick, ya don't mess around, & the list is not even filled yet. You definetely get the first to show award !!!!!! :clap:
    Hey guys, we got plenty of spots left on this list. I don't want to end up having to post on another site as well, since I feel we have great tyers on this site !!!!!!! SIGN UP !!!!! You have plenty of time to get these done (with a deadline of December 6th). You also come away with a fantastic box of midges for your effort !!!!!
    Cheers & Tight Lines !!!!!!
    John (Alpinefly)

JOHN I'M NOT TO GOOD AT THIS COMPUTER! I SHOULD SHOOT IT AND PUT BOTH OF US OUT OF OUR MISERY. CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DOWNLOAD A PM. WOULD YOU PLEASE SEND ME ADDRESS TO MY E-MAIL ADDRESS. CREATIVETYERS@AOL.COM TIGHT LINES DICK (OLDMAN)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.