Thread: Thinking of getting a St. Croix Imperial 2wt...

Thinking of getting a St. Croix Imperial 2wt...

Hey guys,
    Recently I have been getting into some small stream fishing, and I don't think that my 9ft 5wt is really up to the challenge of small stream fishing, so I am looking for something a little smaller. Most of the fish in my home stream are a little small (4-8") so I think that a 2wt would be the ticket.
    After some lurking I came across this http://www.flyfishohio.com/2-Weight_..._Shoot-Out.htm and from their verdict I decided the St. Croix Imperial 6ft 2wt would be the best for me.
    It's fairly inexpensive ($150) and from what the reviewers thought of it, it seemed to perform well. Here is the link to the review of it http://www.flyfishohio.com/2-Weight_...erial_i602.htm
    So, what do you guys think about this rod and is it worth buying?
    thanks, Joe

Re: Thinking of getting a St. Croix Imperial 2wt...

I cast one last year, a good rod for the money. The grip/reel seat is more appropriate for a 7 1/2 foot four-weight; felt a bit heavy for a two-weight.

I bought a 7'3 weight Imperial this spring and it has replaced my 7'6" 3 weight Winston IM6 as my favorite rod.

smallstreams.com plankowner jeepster's Avatar

I have a st croix 6ft 3wt with a laser 444 dt line on it and it’s a great rod on tight streams.

I fished a bamboo 6ft 1wt this summer and it was the most effortless casting I have ever experienced in a small stream rod.
    jeepster

I have had good luck with the light weight St. Croix rods. You don't need the power of a high dollar rod on a small stream, find something that is light and feels good in your hand and enjoy yourself.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.