Here in south west England we have just come to the end of a three and a half month long drought. My home river has been a pathetic trickle all summer and any chance of a salmon this season seemed to be slipping away. However last week the rains arrived. This off course doesn't allways mean that the salmon will arrive but this time they did :)
Saturday I went out in big water with the spinning rod :shock: :shock: This resulted in four!!! All grilse around 4-5lb (fish of this size make up 90% of the catch on this river) and all returned.
Today I went out to do it properly with the fly rod and got two more :D

Looking down into the valley, there is a river somewhere down there beyond the farm.

Down in the valley in brilliant sunshine, not ideal for fishing!

Luckily much of the river is well shaded.

The first fish was a touch unlucky. After fishing the first pool I was wading ashore with the fly dangling in the water a few yards behind when everything went solid! Ah well they all count ;)

Come to me.

Closer?

Back she goes.

Fishing the Ash Tree Hole. I really should get a more visible rod and a bright orange line for this sort of photo!

A low rod and lots of side strain on fish number 2 in the Ash Tree Hole. The dogs can hardly believe I've hooked another!

A nice bright one.

Happy days :)

Andy