Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generic style

Generic style

Hook: Grip 14723BL #20
    Thread: Uni Trico 17/0
    Tailing: Teal barbs and blood red microfibbets
    Dubbing: A blend of SLF Midge and pine squirrel cheek/guard hairs is applied to the hook shank
    Hackle: Whiting saddle
    Wing: Sparse mallard barbs

Re: Generic style

I see you're tying them bigger now! HA! Is it optics, or is that hook a larger gap than normal, and with a longer point?

That's a very nice looking fly.

Hi Danny - yeah, need to go to #20's in falling water following recent rain. The hook is similar to the TMC 206BL, fishes real nice and it's BARBLESS... but only goes down to #20 (the TMC down to #24 - have a few of this pattern tied in smaller sizes for low water).

Hope you're well.
    Andy

All is very well, thanks Andy! I guess it was the angle/optics--sure didn't look like a caddis style hook to me at first. Of course could be the eyes playing tricks on me.

Have been tying a lot of large patterns (hoppers, gurglers, foam poppers, etc) for our warm water fish. To stay in practice, I worked on a #24 spent pattern a couple of weeks ago. Going from weeks of #6 and #8 to a #24 sure makes one realize the importance of tying the small ones at least periodically!

Here you go Danny - on a #24 TMC 206BL with a strong Roy Christie influence (I think he supplied the mallard fibres....)

Fine work, as always, Andy

Now you're getting to your sizes, Andy. HA! Do I see a #28 in your future. Just kidding. Those are great ties--I like what the mallard does in this pattern

Thanks Roy - always appreciate your comments.

Danny - oh, Danny... just couldn't resist... but please, this will NOT work on a #32... well it does, but it loses some of the spice. So a #28 will have to do :ugeek: and shown alongside it's larger siblings, #20 through #28...

... but then again, Danny - with advice from Roy (tie the wing in on the way down from eye to bend) this pattern will fit neatly on a TMC 518 #32:

Andy, simply awesome! :o

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.