Thread: Bonneville Cutthroats

Bonneville Cutthroats

While on vacation last week, I took an afternoon to go fishing on a small stream up in Northern Utah. I had never fished this area before, but was looking forward to it after hearing the water held Bonneville cutthroat trout.

The first stretch of water I fished was flowing pretty fast. I tried to get some nymphs down deep but after an hour or so I gave up and traveled a bit farther upstream to hopefully find some fish.

I came across an old beaver dam that created some nice holding water.

After several failed casts (flies spent more time in the trees and bushes than on the water), I finally managed to catch this little one on a small BWO.

I spooked another little fish while untangling my line, but soon this nice sized cutthroat came along sipping tiny flies from the surface.

I decided to drop down below the beaver dam to see what the stream held and caught several nice fish.

All told, a nice afternoon catching some native trout.

Re: Bonneville Cutthroats

Some nice photos there! What a beautiful area, completely wild looking, also a nice Artie pic' of the rod, what is it? and what is the handle made of? looks unusual type of cork! - Nice effect though!

Mostyn

Beautiful fish and water!
    Great stuff.
    A.T.

smallstreams.com plankowner ofuros's Avatar

Nice afternoon session, among some beautiful riparian scenery,
    pretty trout fooled, sparsely spotted bodies with
    tails totally covered in spots....
    Enjoyable post.
    Out & about....looking for trout.
    https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Nice... :) , love fishing new waters

Thanks.

The rod is a 6'6" 4pc 2wt Tiger Eye (from Sevier Mfg) I built for myself earlier this year. The grip is made from primarily from burl cork, with burnt trim and rubberized cork ends. Here's a post from my blog with more details and pictures if you're interested.

Nice stream and fish!
    It's very interesting to see different strains of cutthroat.

Satoshi

Quote Originally Posted by skyfireblaze
    Thanks.

The rod is a 6'6" 4pc 2wt Tiger Eye (from Sevier Mfg) I built for myself earlier this year. The grip is made from primarily from burl cork, with burnt trim and rubberized cork ends. Here's a post from my blog with more details and pictures if you're interested.
    Had a look at your Blog! Excellent, two of those rods and they look just great; and the handles are unusual!

Tried leaving a message on your Blog, but failed!

Regards

M

Thanks for stopping by the blog and leaving a comment. I have it set up so that comments come to my email before posting.

Glad you like the grips. I've got a couple more similar grips (only without the Tru-Oil treatment, so they're "raw" burl cork) on two rods I'm slowly working on now. I really like the way this cork feels and looks. It's good stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.