Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fished a New Creek Today

Fished a New Creek Today

After two weeks of waiting for the day to arrive we got up at 4:30 and headed to my sister Norann's house to meet up with her, her husband Mike, and my brother Ron. After a short drive to the trailhead we took off to see what trouble we could get into.

I think I'll call this creek, Flintstone Creek. I think Fred and Barney used to live up here with Betty and Wilma. I love the slab seating and they were really comfortable!

The beginning of the trip was a dirt road that lead to several private homes scattered along the way, until we came upon the main foot trail.

This was our first look at the river close up. The water level seemed a little low but as we walked up river the flows seemed to increase.

Alot of the creek was slow moving wide shallow pools but patient walking along the river produced larger pools and deeper sections with riffles that looked like promising areas that could hold fish.

I did manage to land this little guy and had two other fish on the hook but they came off just as quickly. In one large pool 2.5 miles up the river there were several larger fish that could be easily seen in the very clear water, but there were some swimmers there that started jumping in after they took a break for lunch so I didn't get much of a chance to fish it. I did get one of the fish to rise to a nymph that had just hit the water and in my excitement I think I pulled the hook out of his mouth.

My brother Ron, sister Norann, and me taking a breather. Sorry it's a little blurry.

Norann, Ron and Mike.

Norann, Ron and Sherry.

And Sherry's mandatory sleepy time nap on a rock. That girl can sleep anywhere!

Here's view of the canyon. The weather was beautiful and the 5 mile round trip seemed to go quickly. We didn't make it to a waterfall farther up river. Mike strained a ligament in his foot but kept going for another 3 miles before heading back. He was a trooper. We'll be heading back in a few weeks to hike to the waterfall and see if the fishing is better upstream.

The happy hikers heading back to the car for lunch at Red Robin.

It was a great first trip and I'm looking forward to seeing what's up river from the big pool. I'll let you all know in a few weeks.

Re: Fished a New (old) Site Today

http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/viewtop ... f=11&t=638

This is a double post.

In the days of the old smallstreams.com, this was greatly frowned upon. I don't know how Gus looks at copied material from another site but I do not recommend it. Original material written for smallstreams or from your own blog is fine, excellent if I may say so but this is not a "cut and paste" zone the way I see the post.

Perhaps you or any other authors did not know, that is ok, no harm, no foul.

This is an old fly fishing web site, this is one of the core reasons why we promote your writing.

Originality.

I think it is time for Gus and I to talk about it.

That being said, looks like you guys had a lot of fun and practicing tenkara is so easy that it does not take away from a family adventure. I really like the picture of the rock camp. Reading the current crop of enviros (rock ring etc.), that would upset them and I understand why, but I think the image envokes great memories, empty and ready...
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Re: Fished a New Creek Today

I posted it here and on the Tenkara site so all my friends had a chance to read my post. Not all of the people I communicate with are on both boards. Sorry if it's frowned upon but I didn't see any harm in it since it was my "original writing". It wont happen again and again my apologize for my ignorance of the rules.

You didn't know the rules, you fell into this and there is no need for apologies.

This is a way for others to understand this as it is a good example.

"Frowned upon" is my term, keep it to that context and it's all good.

Smallstreams.com is an old site and it's based on a old forumula. Since you are here, I'll say that we have gathered quite a group of talented angler/writer/photographers. Lot's of people do what you did, yours is just obvious for me and easy to point out.

I prefer to read original material here, that is based on the quality, not quantity of the site and it goes along with the great things you read and see here. There are magazine authors here that know about this "frowning upon" and they get it and respect it, there are magazine editors here that get it too.

No worries, you didn't post this at tenkara-fisher.net for a reason, hmm.

Care to comment?

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    You didn't know the rules, you fell into this and there is no need for apologies.

This is a way for others to understand this as it is a good example.

"Frowned upon" is my term, keep it to that context and it's all good.

Smallstreams.com is an old site and it's based on a old forumula. Since you are here, I'll say that we have gathered quite a group of talented angler/writer/photographers. Lot's of people do what you did, yours is just obvious for me and easy to point out.

I prefer to read original material here, that is based on the quality, not quantity of the site and it goes along with the great things you read and see here. There are magazine authors here that know about this "frowning upon" and they get it and respect it, there are magazine editors here that get it too.

No worries, you didn't post this at tenkara-fisher.net for a reason, hmm.

Care to comment?
    I don't understand this last comment. I'm not a member at tenkara-fisher.net.

I think what I'm reading here is that if I want to post something here, then it's frowned upon me posting the same report on another site? If I do then it's not considered an original post? Or it's just not original to your site? Post it here only, or don't post it here at all is what I'm getting from of your comments. Wow. Really? I thought this was a site where anglers could post what is really all original material since every time someone clicks the submit button it's original, unless they press quote and don't type anything else, but maybe I'm wrong. All my photos were original, they were my words, my family, my fishing experience, just put on two websites, and I guess that is frowned upon. Really? Seems a little elitist to me. If I found this site different from others I visit I could see your point. But I don't see any difference. It's a group of guys sharing experiences on the water. Can you give me count of how many guys here visit the Tenkara site? I'd venture to say that not everyone visits both sites so I thought I would share it here too. Since I'm just a delivery driver maybe this site's not for me. I'm not a talented editor/angler/writer/photographer etc. Sorry, but I feel offended by comments like that and I've noticed you seem to like confrontation. You see I've read many of your posts and you just rub me wrong. I don't know how others feel about how you seem to treat members, but for me I think I'm done here. Too bad, it could be a great site with lots of content about everything under the sun, but nothing specific.

Sorry if this offends you. But at this point it really doesn't matter. By the way, you are the only person I've ever encountered on a website that has ever made me say anything negative about them. Wow. Really? Yes really.

You can't offend me, I don't know you however I think the intent for you to offend me is there.

A long time ago, my Mother told me, "Adam, don't try to make everyone happy."

The idea here is that your posts are original to this site, not cut and paste but I already said that.

I can't make it more simple than that.

Oh, you were invited to participate at tenkara-fisher.net by me personally some time ago. I rub you wrong (you are in a long list of people I rub wrong) so you are coming here and "cut and pasting" your story for your friends here?

One thing I will help you with, I am not the nicest guy in the world, not even close, I don't even try.

I'll leave it at that.

Anything else?

Adam, I came here in hopes of sharing my experience with people here that haven't joined other sites. I didn't do it for anyone specifically. I thought it to he more trouble than it was worth to retype every word and post every picture all over again. Kind of like rewritting a story in more than one magazine. For the writers on the board, you all should understand.

At first you were just another member of the other Tenkara board but as time went by I realized that it is true. You don't mind saying what you think even if it offends. That's fine. It's your board and you can run it the way you wish. I have nothing more to say.

After so many years of doing this, I have some sort of knack for reading people online, it is a hard earned knack and at times, bit me hard.

In this case, I did not learn anything.

I'll make this statement, "Nothing I pointed at you was personal, what you pointed at me is very personal."

That's the message I am delivering to you along with, "Cut and pasting stories is frowned upon."

For reference.

Quote Originally Posted by rsetina
    I don't understand this last comment. I'm not a member at tenkara-fisher.net.

I think what I'm reading here is that if I want to post something here, then it's frowned upon me posting the same report on another site? If I do then it's not considered an original post? Or it's just not original to your site? Post it here only, or don't post it here at all is what I'm getting from of your comments. Wow. Really? I thought this was a site where anglers could post what is really all original material since every time someone clicks the submit button it's original, unless they press quote and don't type anything else, but maybe I'm wrong. All my photos were original, they were my words, my family, my fishing experience, just put on two websites, and I guess that is frowned upon. Really? Seems a little elitist to me. If I found this site different from others I visit I could see your point. But I don't see any difference. It's a group of guys sharing experiences on the water. Can you give me count of how many guys here visit the Tenkara site? I'd venture to say that not everyone visits both sites so I thought I would share it here too. Since I'm just a delivery driver maybe this site's not for me. I'm not a talented editor/angler/writer/photographer etc. Sorry, but I feel offended by comments like that and I've noticed you seem to like confrontation. You see I've read many of your posts and you just rub me wrong. I don't know how others feel about how you seem to treat members, but for me I think I'm done here. Too bad, it could be a great site with lots of content about everything under the sun, but nothing specific.

Sorry if this offends you. But at this point it really doesn't matter. By the way, you are the only person I've ever encountered on a website that has ever made me say anything negative about them. Wow. Really? Yes really.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsetina
    Adam, I came here in hopes of sharing my experience with people here that haven't joined other sites. I didn't do it for anyone specifically. I thought it to he more trouble than it was worth to retype every word and post every picture all over again. Kind of like rewritting a story in more than one magazine. For the writers on the board, you all should understand.

At first you were just another member of the other Tenkara board but as time went by I realized that it is true. You don't mind saying what you think even if it offends. That's fine. It's your board and you can run it the way you wish. I have nothing more to say.

Hope anyone who read my cut and paste liked my story anyway. Sorry to anyone who may have had to read it on both boards if you are a member there too. It will never happen again since you will be able to read it there in the future.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.