Thread: R. Barle, Somerset

R. Barle, Somerset

Just a few pictures from my home river the other day, it's about an hour from home but I still think of it as mine after fishing it for nearly twenty years!
    The trout fishing isn't up to much but it has it's moments early in the season. In a wet year there are a few salmon to be had come September, in a dry year we never see one :(

There were a few olives and stoneflies hatching which brought up a handful of trout. A size 16 Adams accounted for a couple of fish plus several missed or lost, a nice way to waste an hour or so :)

The river.

A trout, a big one for the Barle!

Andy

Fry

Re: R. Barle, Somerset

Looks like a wonderful stream, Andy! That Brown is a wonderful catch. Can you get access farther downstream, to get closer to salmon, or any trout that may be hanging out in the lower stretches during dry years?

I saw a salmon in the Barle last year near Tarr Steps. I think it flows into the Exe and the Exe gets a decent salmon run. I fished teh Exe last year down near Tiverton and caught a couple of nice brownies and saw plenty of rises and lots of small fish. Think I needed smaller flies (<18). Either that or better casting :shock:

Nice stretch Lawrence! And as you say; A nice way to spend a few hours! Loved the photos.

Mostyn

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Sexton
    Looks like a wonderful stream, Andy! That Brown is a wonderful catch. Can you get access farther downstream, to get closer to salmon, or any trout that may be hanging out in the lower stretches during dry years?
    Cheers. There is better trouting both upstream and downstream from "my" bit but not better scenery (in my opinion). More consistent salmon fishing can be had downstream by those with more money that me... but on it's day ;)
    Or in other words it's my home water and I love it warts and all :D

Andy

There were a few olives and stoneflies hatching which brought up a handful of trout. A size 16 Adams accounted for a couple of fish plus several missed or lost, a nice way to waste an hour or so
    Together with the beautiful photos, this sounds like the trout fishing in the river is superb!!

Very beautiful stretch of water !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again guys :)

A few more photo's from last weekend. The lack of rain is starting to be a worry, the river is about as low as I've ever seen it in May.

Bridge Pool. There is always a fish or two in here...

... usually this one!

Another half dozen about the same size came to hand :D

Andy

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.