hot spot

peaceful landscape

best regards to brk trt

bad weather is coming up

try it!

Thomas

Re: After Job Session

How nice!
    It seems good fish come after it becomes dark.
    What is the species of the "unusual guest"? Alpine char?

Satoshi

Fry

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi
    How nice!
    It seems good fish come after it becomes dark.
    What is the species of the "unusual guest"? Alpine char?

Satoshi
    I'm curious as well!

I was surprised when I first saw those photos, they look very similar to Japanese iwana.

I'm shure it is a stocked farm fish. He'll find his end in a bed of herbs and butter soon. :D

The most regional fish farms grow some Brook Trout (Salvelinus fontinalis). The colour is unusual bright. Maybe that he has been stocked some days bevore. There are some fish ponds 2 miles above the place I caught him. Perhaps he escaped from there.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by edeltrouts
    I'm shure it is a stocked farm fish. He'll find his end in a bed of herbs and butter soon. :D

The most regional fish farms grow some Brook Trout (Salvelinus fontinalis). The colour is unusual bright. Maybe that he has been stocked some days bevore. There are some fish ponds 2 miles above the place I caught him. Perhaps he escaped from there.

Thomas
    edeltrouts,

Interesting. But the fish doesn't look like brook trout. (Or is it a smolt of brook trout??)
    As LMarshall said, it looks a bit like iwana, though I cannot believe they culture iwana in Europe.
    Well..., at least the fish looks tasty. :)

Satoshi

Satoshi,

The Brook Trout was brought to Germany in 1884. Perhaps are the different living and the special breeding conditions the reason for the look of these fishes.

I just remembered that I caught 2 bigger brookies a view years ago. They looked similar.

Regards Thomas

nice pics and some healthy fish. i liked that big brown.

In the Midwest we have brook trout that look like yours, and others that look very different.

Some of the differences may be due to genetics. There are many strains of this fish, just as there are many strains of brown trout.

Some of the differerences may be due to environment. Here I find brook trout like yours in lakes with very clear water. A Lake Superior brook trout will be light in color, with faint markings. The same is true in some very cold spring ponds. But in darker water or shady streams, the brook trout are darker with more pronounced markings. I used to fish a shady stream and a cold spring pond that communicated directly with the stream. The fish could swim back and forth between the two, if they wanted to. The spring pond residents looked like your fish, and the trout in the stream were very dark, almost black on the back and sides.

Fry

Thomas,

Those fish in your first post are definitely char of some sort! They do not look at all like the brook trout here in New England, nor any that I've seen in photos from other locations. I'd be willing to bet they aren't brook trout at all, but rather some other variety of char. It would be really neat if they were native alpine char!

The two fish in your third post could definitely be brook trout, but I might have believed you if you'd told me they were some other sort of char; I'm certainly no expert in char taxonomy.

As Ernest pointed out there can be wide variation in coloration and marking patterns among brook trout from different regions. Lake trout, brook trout, arctic char (with subspecies after subspecies...), dolly varden, bull trout, alpine char, and iwana all have enough characteristics in common to make scientific taxonomy difficult enough as it is! From what I've read taxonomists have a really hard time with them, and there has been, and still is, a lot of controversy over certain species and subspecies. Distinguishing between subspecies, and sometimes even species, often requires genetic study.

Cheers,
    Laurent

Excellent Laurent.

In the future, as I catch my trout here in Arizona and beyond, I will use a release box to identify. By no means am I preaching to use one, it is my choice for photography and taxonomy, identification.

I have caught many different looking brook trout in the same stream. I have caught brown trout that were darker on one side.

But I am with Laurent, those do not look exactly like Salvelinus Fontinalis.

Quote Originally Posted by CT Fisheries biologist
    There is quite a range in the natural coloration of the wild brook trout.

This is due to age, sex, diet, sexual maturity, time of year, substrate color, and tannic vs clear water.
    From the thread, "Blueback Trout
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.