Thread: Lathe Skills Needed

Fry

Lathe Skills Needed

I am looking to make a wood grip for my newest build, but I have no lathe (nor any of the other equipment for that matter) to turn and bore the blanks with. I would be willing to pay shipping both ways plus a little extra to compensate.

Thanks,

Brett

Re: Lathe Skills Needed

Brett,
    I have made about 40 wood fly rod grips with just a utility knife, a small trimming plane, a hand held electric drill, and a piece of sandpaper. No lathe required.

Drill a hole through a rough piece of wood, slide the rough handle onto a wood dowel the same size as your blank, and then start carving. I do this more by feel than by sight; when the blank feels right, I stop carving. Sometimes they're not perfectly round, but then they fit my hand better than a round one does.

It you want a symetrical blank, I suppose you could cut out a guide from a piece of scrap wood that would have the shape and size of the handle you want, and you could rotate the work in progress against the guide until it matches. I've never bothered with that.

With sharp tools, I can make a cedar blank in 30 minutes. If I'm using a harder wood, it might take an hour. With a couple coats of epoxy, I have a nice grip.

Fry

Thank you Ernest, I didn't think of doing it that way. How long would you expect it to take if I am using an extra curly Koa blank?

Sorry, I don't know that wood. I make most of mine out of woods that I cut on our land. The hardest I have is hickory. I did make a grip once from a branch of a pear tree, and that was very hard.

Just take your time, and you should be fine.

i might be abel to help,here is one i just turned for a customer,big leaf mapel burl,thanks steve

Fry

Hey Steve,

If you could help that would be sweet. I am willing to pay for shipping both ways and I will give you a 9x1 3/4x1 3/4 5A curly Koa blank as payment. IF you are still willing to help, please PM me.

Thanks a lot

maybe I'm stupid, but wouldn't the wood grip get really slippery when wet/Fish Slimy?

The ones that I have are not at all slippery.Including the bamboo gripped one.
    Will

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.