Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tigers

Tigers

While fishing a Connecticut class 1 wild trout stream last week I hooked a wild tiger trout.
    While reaching for my camera the trout gave me my fly back. This is only the second time that I've taken a wild tiger.

On saturday I was again fishing this stream. The sky was overcast with some drizzle.
    The stream was beautiful, with lots of new growth and water temps in the mid 50's.

I was fishing a Bomber dry fly and had taken a few nice brookies,

On one particular drift along the far bank the Bomber took a violent strike, the trout was on.
    After several darts and dashes, with a few strong head shakes, the trout came to hand.

It was a beautiful wild tiger trout.

I took the photo and with a good feeling released the fighter to the stream.

That evening I celebrated with
    Safron Rice with Shrimp.

Brk Trt

Re: Tigers

BRK TRT, great pics and awesome fish! I have always dreamed of hooking a tiger. Do you think it was the same fish that you lost a week before? Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by terry
    BRK TRT, great pics and awesome fish! I have always dreamed of hooking a tiger. Do you think it was the same fish that you lost a week before? Thanks for sharing.

Terry,

I don't think so. This fish was taken quite a distance from the first fish.

They are incredibly strong fish.

Brk Trt

Wonderful fish!
    Those tigers have the strength of a brown and the attack style of a brookie, deadly combo. :)
    A.T.

Those new green leaves in the forest are almost shining!
    The coloration of the brookies seems slightly different from that of the fish you have posted so far, though they look very beautiful too.

I understand tiger trout is a hybrid of brook trout and brown trout. Are they spontaneously born between wild brookies and browns, or stocked by people?

Satoshi

I have the same questions as Satoshi on the Tiger trout.

Thanks for the post, your streams are gorgeous and I would love to walk in that forest.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

smallstreams.com supporter and plankowner

Nice.....looks like your creek has some lady's slipper orchids about to bud.....on the left.

That tiger is GRRRRRREAT! (Sorry, couldn't help myself :crazy: )
    Seriously, beautiful pics of both the trout & the stream - as always.

Not to hijack your thread but since Satoshi & Adam asked, they can happen in the wild but it's rare, plus the offspring are infertile hence the scarcity. It happens when a male brook trout does his thing with brown trout redds. With the vivid colors and intact fins, I'm guessing this pic is a wild specimen, which makes it even better!

They can also be raised in nurseries and stocked, however most states don't usually intentionally do this - at least not on the East Coast.

nice pics.
    tiger trout? you learn something new every day.

smallstreams.com plankowner

Very cool fish and a great pic!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.