Thread: Fishin' Kiley Cane

Fry

Fishin' Kiley Cane

I've finally gotten on some water appropriate for my 8', 4 wt. Kiley Shop Rod, and have been nicely rewarded! I started on the Bitterroot with stonefly nymphs:

This fine specimen took some hard fishing right at dusk, but was a nice surprise hiding just below the submerged branches of a willow. It jumped at least seven times, and took some coercing to get 'im to the bank.

Next, my buddy Andy Mo' and I hit an epic day on the Mo' (no relation...), with cloud cover, drizzle, then rain. Foul weather brought fatties to the surface gorging themselves on midges. I fished #20 midge dries most the day and HAD A BALL!!!

This 'Bow measured exactly 20". It has been so long since I've fished dries to rising fish with cane, that I almost wept with happiness; Cowboys don't cry, however... It was such a great day on some local rivers, that I couldn't keep it to myself. Hope you enjoy.

Re: Fishin' Kiley Cane

I really did share your enjoyment of fishing with a cane rod! The photos are just great!

Thanks for sharing you fishing exploits with us.

Mostyn

Very nice! Catching those large ones on the small flies is a great reward. Really like that reel--hard to come by the "Made in England" Battenkills. I am awaiting delivery of a replacement 3/4 and a my second 5/6 (gotta get them while I can). Both are made in England.

Those rainbow trout are just beautiful!
    Thank you for sharing your experience.

dang triple jealous................. of the rod .............. and the fish............ and the place

DD

Fry

Glad you guys enjoyed the post! Yes, the Battenkill is purdy nice! It was the second nice reel I bought--the first being the multiplyer. I think I bought the regular disc drag reel about a year or so later. She's still running well, and a great compliment to the Kiley rod. It is amazing how cool the rivers in Montana really are. Even the ones next to interstates seem wild and remote at times. The big fish don't hurt, either :D

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.