Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early season emerger

Re: Early season emerger

From what I read Jim they don't make it any more, what's left in shops is just the remaining stocks, I still have some colours but the ones I used a lot have been out of stock everywhere I've tried for months. Shame really.

Thanks again guys...

Adam/Danny - I'll try an underwater shot, although I'm away from home all week - work not fishing :(

Jim - the Gudebrod 10/0 thread is no more... a real shame! I don't think it's been manufactured for over a year now, so if you find some, I'd buy quick.

Dennis - gotta tie this pattern with snowshoe, excellent suggestion. All materials would then be natural. Good call.

Jim (Palewatery) - must check-out the Synton. I didn't like Uni Trico initially, and it demands careful control but it's really grown on me for v.small flies. Haven't tried Benecchi 12/0. Have you tried the Benecchi Ghost thread? Not sure of it's rating, but I think it's a single mono thread.

Thanks all!
    Andy

PS: Spoke with Roy earlier, his internet is down but he's alive and well.

Not tried the Ghost thread Andy. Sounds similar to Spiders web or the Uni Caenis, might be worth a go though as I've yet to find a Benecchi product I didn't like (not that I've tried everything they make). Their super select CDC is the best I've ever seen for winging duns.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBaird
    so if you find some, I'd buy quick.
    I did, and that's why Lakeland have none and I have enough to last me a few years! Sorry boys :twisted:
    Re: Synton, I don't like it very much. I have three problems with it. I think it's just too fine and it's also stretchy, I find it difficult to get materials to stay where I put them, I think the elasticity is the main problem there. The third problem is in the spooling.
    Andy, PM me your address and I'll stick a couple of spools in the post for you to try.

Quote Originally Posted by scotfly
    I did, and that's why Lakeland have none and I have enough to last me a few years! Sorry boys :twisted:
    Hoarder :problem:

I liked the stretch on the Synton, what was the spooling problem you found Dennis? Was it the two strands not being wound together on the spool? The spools I bought are like that but so far it's not caused me any bother..... I'm just wondering if hassle is coming my way soon, as I work my way down through the spool type of deal.. :problem: That'd suck
    I like the little moser type spools it comes on, have re-spooled all my Pearsalls onto them.

Quote Originally Posted by palewatery
    what was the spooling problem you found Dennis?
    As you get down the spool slack coils start forming. It's a common problem with other threads too, I've found the Gudebrod to be bad for it too, and Sheer.

Quote Originally Posted by palewatery
    Was it the two strands not being wound together on the spool?
    That's interesting, the stuff I have is single strand, much finer than spiderweb, which I much prefer.
    I bought mine two or three years ago, I wonder if they've changed it since then :?:

I'll keep an eye out for that, the Gudebrod I've had has always been cool but the Sheer has been really bad so I know the hassle.

Definately two strand now Dennis, two seperate strands each one finer than spiders web but when tying together it's waaaaay stronger than spiders. If you have a lot and it's all the same then I'd guess they've changed it, if it's just a couple of spools you might have been unlucky and got them from a bad batch. I've always been happy enough with the threads I had and only bought the Synton to try as Dave was so keen on it.. as a result I've no idea how consistant the quality is with Hends threads.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.