Thread: Plastic, really?

Hybrid View

Plastic, really?

I am always bothered by the, seemingly increasing, use of the term "Plastic" rods.

I am bothered, #1 because it imparts a connotation (I feel intentionally), that denotes the Graphite/fiberglass rods as cheap, commodity-type products, and completely ignores the cost of R&D, tooling, etc... that goes into the manufacture of the blanks. I'm not arguing here that Glass/Graphite rods are better or worse than Bamboo/Wood, but I think its a bit unfair.

#2, I am bothered because its misleading. Fiberglass and graphite are not plastic, and while, in the strictest sense of the word, a polyester resin, could be considered plastic, this is a distinct material from plastics, as they are commonly known.

I just don't understand the reasoning behind why the term is used. seems like the only purpose is for implying an inferiority vs more "traditional" or "craftsman" style rods.

Am I missing something here?... Or is this just subtle elitism?

Calling them plastic isn't subtle elitism, it's blatant elitism. If we're going to be elitist, we should be elitist about fly fishing. Then go out, string up the peasants and beat them to death for daring to poach our trout with bait using their own ugly stik spin casting rods. ;-)

Calling them fiberglass or carbon fiber or composite collectively is better and more accurate.

One thing I've never gotten is why carbon fiber rods got tagged with the graphite moniker. Graphite besides being a dry lubricant, is actually the highest grade of coal, just above anthracite. Does anyone really want to fish a coal rod?
    Last edited by Nycflyangler; 01-22-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.