Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40th Birthday present

40th Birthday present

Hi guys,

I hit the big 4-0 this year, on the last day of the trout season (always a nice end to the years fishing...).
    My wife has asked for a shortlist. An Orvis 6' 2 weight Ion would be nice, but entirely out of reach, and I'm not sure I'd be that relaxed fishing a £600 rod. My small arsenal of rods are all sub £100, ideal for the job and besides, I enjoy fishing them.
    I do have a thing for small reels - I fish a Greys G1 (insane value) and a Greys Streamlite for 2/3 weight lines which I'd like to trade-in so I fish just one reel (I picked up the G1 because the reel was less expensive than a speare spool for the Streamlite, and I picked up the reel for half price).

The shortlist is:

Hardy Flyweight
    Vosseller RC1
    Orvis BBS1
    Possibly an Orvis CFO1 (if I add to the pot with proceeds from my existing reels but likely out of reach)

Any thoughts, experiences and insights on the above list?
    Have I overlooked any models.

You may notice the common theme: traditional styling, light, neat proportions and reliable engineering. I'm especially drawn to the RC1, no drag to complicate things (I always set the drag to minimum).

With the exception of the CFO1, I'd be hoping for a spare spool too.
    The reel/spare spool will be loaded with Scientific Anglers XPS Mastery trout line, DT2F and DT3F, heron grey - adore this line.

Hope you can help me draw some conclusions.

Thanks in advance,
    Andy

Re: 40th Birthday present

Hi Andy,

I have the BBS Reels two of them : A BBSII and a BBSIII also a spare spool for the BBSII they are some of the best reels on the market IMO. Although I'd quite like a CFO-II. There have been some nice reels for sale lately on www.flyfishingforums.co.uk Let us know what you get!

Mostyn

Thanks Mostyn - will do!

Would love to hear from anyone who fishes the RC1... :think:

Hi Andy, I've just acquired a Danielsson Midge for my small stream rod. It's a lovely little reel and very light. If the budget doesn't stretch to that then how about one of the old 'made in England' Orvis Batternkill LA I reels? They crop up from time-to-time on ebay and in the classified section on FFF.

happy birthday! hope you get what you want. I have a few ross colorado's & a couple of lamson clicker reels. I do have 4 other ross I do like, but really have no need for the disc drag system that they have. :D

I hope this reply isn't too late, but there is a Hardy Flyweight on eBay right now for GBP 10.00. It'll be there for almost seven full days from now. Good luck, and I hope you get one you like.

Quote Originally Posted by toledotimber
    I hope this reply isn't too late, but there is a Hardy Flyweight on eBay right now for GBP 10.00. It'll be there for almost seven full days from now. Good luck, and I hope you get one you like.
    Thanks for the lead - already at £100 with five days to go... out of reach I think, but I'll track this to see how high it goes. A genuine '70's model.... very, VERY nice! Thanks again.

NeilH - the Danielsson Midge is simply beautiful! And very uniquely styled. May have to wait 'til my 50th though... :D

Thanks guys - the research continues!

Andy

It went for £165... buy not to me :)

GBP 165.00 for the Hardy Flyweight is a steal where I shop. Last weekend I was looking at a new, made in England Flyweight, sale priced, selling for Can$ 350.00 + taxes. (+/- GBP 230.00)

Last year I was looking for a reel for a short 2 wt. At the time the BBS1 could be had with a free spare spool for a good price. Good reviews. Great deal; but I can't bring myself to buy Orvis. One inquiry and they are still sending me catalogues full of hand tooled leather deck shoes, dog beds and $600.00 women's shooting jackets!

I am hesitant to bring it up as a newbie here, and know it's a thorn in the side of some, but check out the Asian made Hardy Uniqua #1. I think these are made for the American market and I purchased from the states. Fit and finish are great, very light in weight, offset drag control, but the rim is exposed to palm it when you prefer. I love his little reel.

Andy ,
    do have a look around for a Marquis #4 or even the #5 ,I have been trout and grayling fishing with a pair of them for some 30 years ,one is a click ,the other is the unusual silent model , both are still going strong with only a little light maintainance ,they just do the job so well ,and look like a fly reel ,not a hitec frisbee !
    Worth checking Fawcetts, norrises and some other sites,try A search for Mullocks they have an auction up and coming !

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.