Thread: Questions About Fishing in Ireland

Fry

Questions About Fishing in Ireland

This might be slightly premature but I want to be sure I have ample time to get everything sorted out since this will likely be a rare occurrence.

My wife and I will be vacationing to part of Europe (Ireland and Italy) in late 2011/early 2012 (December - February) . We'll probably be visiting Galway while in Ireland and surrounding areas and I'd like to fish while there. Species is unimportant (Pike or Trout, probably).

Anyone have any other information regarding winter fishing in Ireland in general? My wife studied there for 4 months so we're sort of aware of winter weather conditions.

From what I understand there is no license required for anything other then seatrout and salmon. Also, it appears that seasons are open with bag limits changing depending on the months. I may be wrong, so feel free to correct me.

I'll also be looking at hiring a guide, most likely, so suggestions there are welcome and appreciated as well (if allowed on the site).

steve101

Re: Questions About Fishing in Ireland

Hi skyphix
    unfortunately trout fishing will be out as the close season runs from end of September - February/March (slight variation between different rivers/lakes.) One possibility would be fly fishing for pike on Lough Corrib (very near Galway City). I don't know much about pike fishing but there are a lot of guides based around Lough Corrib, at least some of whom guide for pike as well as trout (which are by far the main target species there). One such guide is http://www.corribangling.com/fishing/pike.asp

I don't know anything about the above guide, just attaching link as an example

Steve

it's a pity you're going late as there is some great fishing there, even little streams that not many would bother with, try the link below for some info.
    http://www.wrfb.ie/Fishing%20in%20the%2 ... shing.html

Fry

Thanks very much Steve. I have no problem fishing for pike (Enjoy doing that here, but much smaller fish typically).

Also, it appears that rates there for guides are a bit cheaper than here (boat + guide from 10a - 6p for ~$300 US is pretty inexpensive as far as guides go). Thanks for the information and I'll try to keep searching for more guides in that area.

Fishing a small stream for trout while there was a dream but that is the best time to go for us (wife graduating from her post-graduate work, easy time for me to take vacation, etc) so pike or lake-based trout fishing may be my option. If I'm reading right, Lough Corrib allows trout fishing as well as pike from Feb 15 on, is that right?
    http://www.wrfb.ie/Fishing%20in%20the%2 ... trout.html

Thanks for the link

Eric

steve101

Eri

re. price of guides, at todays exchange rate I make it only $190 (€140) for a boat and guide for the day.

You can fish for pike all winter and the trout season opens on 15th Feb as you say. I've never fished on Lough Corrib but it's generally considered the best trout fishing water in Ireland (certainly the most famous), other Irish or UK member here would be better for specific information and recommedations for guides etc.

If you are going to be in Italy and are looking for trout fishing you'll be next door to Slovenia, which has incredible trout rivers.

Enjoy the trip.

Steve

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.