Thread: River Monnow

River Monnow

I'm very conscious of the fact I vowed to post more on this forum, but also that fishing opportunities have been limited recently due to the weather so I thought I'd rip off one of my posts on a UK forum from last year.

I was fortunate enough to secure a day on a private beat of the River Monnow near the Wales-England Border. I set off from Birmingham (that's Birmingham, England ;) ) cursing the fact that I had to chose the one day when the weather was "wet and windy". The 'windy' bit turned out to be pretty accurate, but mostly the rain held off - there was even a brief period just after lunch when the sun shone. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. Prior to the event, I'd discussed tactics with a friend and devotee of the Monnow and he'd emphasised just how important the right pork pie (British delicacy) was to the success of the day and on his recommendation I stopped off at Mailes Butchers in a sleepy little Welsh village called Ewyas Harold. And, to paraphrase Agent Cooper (obscure reference to Twin Peaks), a 'damn fine pie' it was too. On t the fishing - most of the morning was taken with exploring the beat and casting into likely looking pools, with not a lot of success. I fished the duo and took one beautiful little wild brown trout on a small bead head nymph and one larger fish on a stimulator but it was pretty tough going, particularly in some of the more exposed parts of the beat. Around about lunchtime the sun came out briefly which was definitely a sign that lunch should be taken. Whilst sat by the river eating my lunch I noticed a few mayfly starting to come off and a few fish starting to rise, so I switched to dries (Grey Wulff and Cul de Canon) and had a pretty successful time of it, taking fish throughout the afternoon until about 6pm when the wind strengthened and it got noticeably cooler. After another couple of fish and 50+ Himalayan Balsam (evil invasive weed) pulled, I called it quits at around 8pm. All-in-all a great day - the Monnow is a fantastic river and a testament to the work put in by the Monnow Fisheries Association (http://www.monnow.org) to restore this river to it's former glory as a perfect wildlife habitat. I'm looking forward to returning there this year.

Re: River Monnow

Nice Photos Neil, especially the "Pork Pie" there's some lovely beats on the Monnow association waters! Here's some more photos of the area.

The Honddu Stream; A place to fish and capture your dreams!

Mostyn

Great post, I've heard so many good things about the Monnow and surrounding rivers I'm choking to visit.

And Pork Pies... high on the list for ideal fishing foods. :D

Jim

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh No

Not another Monnow thread .

You can't escape from them :D

Bill :)

Quote Originally Posted by springwell
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhh No

Not another Monnow thread .

You can't escape from them :D

Bill :)
    C'mon Bill, you love it there! See you soon; I hope.

Mostyn

Great post Neil, and great photos from both yourself and Mostyn :) I love that system. The Honddu and the Dore....I'm fishing them lots more this year! :D

Cheers Gareth. A less successful day on Thursday - but great to be out and I could almost imagine Spring was on it's way.

another in the 'Pie by the Monnow' series :D

Great stuff - nice pies too ;)

Them is Large Pies, suitable for "Small Streams" Yum-yum!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.