Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roy Christie RPE #32

Re: Roy Christie RPE #32

I prefer to use the CDC for Spinner Wings on 32's or for #32 emergers; otherwise Hackle is much preferrred !!!!!
    I don't see it as a fetish, as much as simply matching an important hatch. Midges vary from the small (size 32 or splitting the fly tying Atom) to large hook sizes and there are so many species that are overlooked. It is even more amazeing that large trout go for this (Hor' Douvres anyone ??? :ugeek: ) People still look at my #32 patterns and ask me what I catch on this. When I say large trout, they look at me in disbelief !!!! I use what works, and if CDC works better on a certain pattern....then fine and dandy !!!!!!

:crazy:

That's some sweet tying fitting that to a #32.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

@ rossa: small flies just aren't part of the fabric in the UK and Ireland like in the States, although there's a few of us from the UK on smallstreams who play in this arena (Roy, Scotfly, Gareth Lewis et al...). Even on picky trout, I reckon a #24 covers most situations... but the thrill of catching a wild trout on small flies, light lines and short rods is borderline spiritual, so this is how I get my kicks. That, and limited time resources (have three amazing kids, a wonderful wife and long hours at work) so I focus on a very narrow spectrum of pursuit... and hope to become expert in time. I'm doing alright, but when you look at the range and skill of Dennis (scotfly - fully dressed parachute on a #32... f'real :ugeek: ) and Roy you realise how muh there is to learn. The convergence of physics, engineering, maths and creativity all underpin what these guys are about.

@ Alpinefly: love your #32 in Modern Midges, and good call on materials. Afraid I can't make any bold claims about large trout + tiny flies... 9" brown on #32 is last season's PB... but I reckon I'll be good for 14" brown this season. I know where they hang out ;) just gotta tempt one :) Not easy as they rely on #26 paraduns for mid-summer snacking... they've gotta at least half a dozen #32's to achieve the same protein intake as this fly

... and you'll all get to hear about it! :ugeek: Just got to drop a #32 RPE within 3" of the trouts nose... :ugeek:

@ palewatery: cheers Jim, always appreciate your support and comments. It motivates me to keep progressing and posting, 'though the train wrecks remain strictly off-board. Please let me know if you're ever in NI.

Best for the weekdn guys!
    Andy

Andy I will be over in July for the fly fair and am planning on bringing a rod with me..... you have been warned

Quote Originally Posted by palewatery
    Andy I will be over in July for the fly fair and am planning on bringing a rod with me..... you have been warned
    I WILL hold you to that! We're going fishing...

I wonder where!!

I have heard there's a couple of good spots thereabouts
    :shock:
    :D

Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    I wonder where!!
    Permission to share the secret's of the mystery burn X, Roy? ;)

:D

Very nice, looks like a bug.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

One of Roy's midges got into the recent issue of Fly Tyer Magazine !!!! :clap: Wonder when Klausmeyer is going to decide to interview Roy for an article !!!! I would love to see a majority of Roy's reversed parachutes, etc. in Fly tryer. How about the rest of you ????

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.