Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line test

Line test

I thought someone might like to hear my rookie experience with different line types.

The furled lines was by far the best caster for me. I tried one from tenkarausa and another from streamside leaders. They were the easiest for me to roll over and definitely have a real soft presentation. I also like having loops at both ends, thats a big advantge for me.

I also tried two level lines. One from tenkarausa, another was made from yo-zuri pink 15lb fluorocarbon line. I thought maybe all 15lb fluoro is the same, but I was wrong. The tenkarausa stuff was a lot stiffer and was a much easier to cast and see. I was hoping to find an alternative to the tenkarausa line, but as of right now I think they have the best stuff for the job. I just have a hard time paying $12 for 35ft of something that usually sells for about $20 for 300 yards. I nail knotted a short piece of 8lb mono with a loop at the end to the tippet side of my line. Makes tippet changes easier for me.

I also tried a 17lb mono line. It was the worst caster of the bunch. I could get it to roll over ok, but not as easily as the furled or level lines. The only advantage I see to the mono is that it is readily available, cheap, and holds knots well.

These are my results so far, I will be trying new stuff in the future. just remember I am new to tenkara and some of these results might be me, not the lines themselves.

Re: Line test

If you ever get to Japan, you might want to pick up some of this line.

It comes in RS-3 through RS-4.5. The RS-3 is a bit light. You might like the RS-4 better.
    About $14 for 30 meters at the current exchange rate.

Unhappy Re: Line test

Quote Originally Posted by terry
    The furled lines was by far the best caster for me. I tried one from tenkarausa and another from streamside leaders. They were the easiest for me to roll over and definitely have a real soft presentation. I also like having loops at both ends, thats a big advantge for me.
    How do the Streamside furled lines compare to those from Tenkara USA? I'm using a Tenkara USA on my setup now. I had saw Streamside on eBay and was thinking of buying one in a slightly more visible color as they seem to have several choices. (I also like the convenience of a tippet ring).

I couldn't tell the difference between them.

Quote Originally Posted by CM_Stewart
    If you ever get to Japan, you might want to pick up some of this line.

It comes in RS-3 through RS-4.5. The RS-3 is a bit light. You might like the RS-4 better.
    About $14 for 30 meters at the current exchange rate.
    Chris I don't think I will be traveling to Japan anytime soon. Is there a stateside source? How does this line compare to tenkarausa's level line?

If I could find someone to buy some and ship it over here, would anyone be interested in a group buy? Its kind of a long shot, but there are a few Japanese members among the forums I frequent. Maybe we could get one of them to buy and ship over here.

Is there a stateside source? If I could find someone to buy some and ship it over here, would anyone be interested in a group buy?
    Networking?

One of the things we will be working on with tenkara-fisher.net
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    Is there a stateside source? If I could find someone to buy some and ship it over here, would anyone be interested in a group buy?
    Networking?

One of the things we will be working on with tenkara-fisher.net
    I just looked at some UPS quotes for shipping from my address to Tokyo, its not cheap. I don't see how it would be any cheaper shipping from there to here, but who knows. The only way I could see it being cost effective is if there was a large number of people participating. Not saying its dead in the water before it even got started, just thinking its not going to be as easy as originally thought.

Tenkara-fisher should draw a larger crowd of tenkara specific anglers. I guess time will tell if we can get together some group buys, or do some networking.

I find it exciting to be part of something fairly new. Keeps my blood flowing.

Fry

Terry, if it looks like it'll work I'd certainly be interested in a group buy.

speyrod

you can count me in on a group buy, this would be a great deal for everyone interested in tenkara fishing!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.