I thought someone might like to hear my rookie experience with different line types.

The furled lines was by far the best caster for me. I tried one from tenkarausa and another from streamside leaders. They were the easiest for me to roll over and definitely have a real soft presentation. I also like having loops at both ends, thats a big advantge for me.

I also tried two level lines. One from tenkarausa, another was made from yo-zuri pink 15lb fluorocarbon line. I thought maybe all 15lb fluoro is the same, but I was wrong. The tenkarausa stuff was a lot stiffer and was a much easier to cast and see. I was hoping to find an alternative to the tenkarausa line, but as of right now I think they have the best stuff for the job. I just have a hard time paying $12 for 35ft of something that usually sells for about $20 for 300 yards. I nail knotted a short piece of 8lb mono with a loop at the end to the tippet side of my line. Makes tippet changes easier for me.

I also tried a 17lb mono line. It was the worst caster of the bunch. I could get it to roll over ok, but not as easily as the furled or level lines. The only advantage I see to the mono is that it is readily available, cheap, and holds knots well.

These are my results so far, I will be trying new stuff in the future. just remember I am new to tenkara and some of these results might be me, not the lines themselves.