Thread: heaviest line weight

Hybrid View

heaviest line weight

Hello, all!

I fish more (old) (vintage) fiberglass than anything else, and I normally fish for smallmouth here in central IN. However, sometimes I do get to Southern California to visit the 91 year old parents, and try to get in some fishing in the San Gabriel Mountains for trout.

Old fiberglass was mostly 6 weight, with some 5's . . . and some that say "6" but are really very adept at 5 weight, like my favorite trout rod, the Fenwick FF79, an 8' rod that says "6 weight," but comes alive and sweet with a 5 at medium distances. Now, I don't have any problems fishing a 6 weight in broken water or water that's at least 3 feet deep. I prefer 5 weight in less than that, and I've encountered calm water about 6 inches deep behind boulders in those San Gabriels when i really would have preferred to have a 4 weight. But i hunker down, find the current line, and drift the offering in from above. It'll suit.

So for me, the maximum line weight is a 6 weight in small streams, while preferring 5 weight most of the time. But I'll bet most of you shudder even to go that high.

Back to my vintage equipment. When they were making and using these things in the 60's and 70's, people were fishing the same small streams you and I are with these heavier lines. Why do y'all want 3's, 2's 1's and oughts? 5's and even 6's do just fine for me and and for our parents. Are the fish different now?

The best to you each morning!
    Peter

I'm with Ernest and Adam. It's all about kinetic energy. The fly line must have enough kinetic energy (just like in bullets) to deliver the size fly you are using to the distance you are casting. Bigger flys and longer distances require heavier lines. That being said, the rod must be up to the job of delivering the required energy to the line. Heavier lines and longer distances require stiffer rods. There are some articles on my website (www.HATofMichigan.org )about it you could read - or not. Many people prefer to just do it and not worry about the physics. And they usually cast just fine.

I often fish in the wind, it helps with cover and concealment. My tenkara rods use "level lines" of around 17lb for fluorocarbon or mono the tippet to terminate. I work with the wind, curse it but it does not stop me. Wind is a part of the experience. I also enjoy any matrix of rod, again personal choices.

Spin fishing?

Lots of people would say that is the best choice, I would not argue that.

Fishing is what is important.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.