Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Northern California

Re: Hello from Northern California

e-jef:

Check your PM. I sent you some ideas that will keep you Googling for awhile. Gus could chip in on this too as he is a Nor-cal dude.

MikeM

eberjef

Thanks Mike. Got it.

You're right -- plenty of possibilities. That should keep me going for a while.

Thanks again.

eberjef,
    like yourself I am a new member here also. If you live in marin county, a couple of hours driving can put you on many Tenkara perfect waters. Day trips or overnites. Putah Creek as was mentioned earlier, altho I usually avoid that creek. The foothills of the Sierra's are full of small streams, some only worth it in the spring, others into the summer, and still others fishing good all thru the season.
    If you head north up the coast, many opportunities open up. North up the Sacramento valley to Redding is another whole group of rivers. You can PM me if you want . I can list them for you or just provide basic info. One important thing to remember is to be willing to do a little research with a road atlas/topo maps, pick an area that appeals to you and your fishing wants, then drive there and explore. That is the main way I discovered my own favorite streams, many of which I return to frequently. Even if you get skunked, you can learn many things. If the stream looks to have potential, visit at another time and then make decisions. Sometimes you can be very surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by eberjef
    I'm new to fly fishing, but I'm very motivated to learn.

I was directed to this site from the user groups at tenkarausa.com. I've found groups like this (of individuals dedicated to a particular pursuit but not motivated by financial gain) to be invaluable.

I'm also intrigued by this registration process -- I've never seen it before. It makes a lot of sense to separate genuine humans from the borg. Nice work.

In any case, I'm hoping to learn as much as I can from this site in order to lead my kids to an appreciation of being outdoors, of exploring and doing. To be honest, they don't need much motivation. They love hiking, backpacking and fishing. We need a new challenge, however, and that's where fly fishing rivers and streams comes in.

Well, that's all for now.

Thanks for listening.
    Borg...well that dang well explains a lot of stuff...like how is a furniture company pitching beds and bureaus remotely connected with fly tying and flyfishing?!?!? I have to agree with you about the invaluable info sites like this afford young ...ok newer, fishermen....once they get outta the dreaded "SHALLOWS"

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.