Rossa...

There are others here infinitely more qualified to answer your question than me. However, I'll share my thoughts on your questions as they pertain to this country. Perhaps get a discussion going.

Except in marginal trout areas I would say that in my experience streams with at least some of the qualities that this one have are very abundant--more than can be fished part-time. Generally, though, I think you have to seek out wilderness areas or remote areas to have the full complement of qualities that this stream has. While I don't want to hotspot, the Creede area is the headwaters of the Rio Grande on one side of the divide and then there are two other watersheds on the other. There are at least 4 wilderness areas within 50 miles. With all that water there are dozens and dozens of small potential streams--some with road access, some with 4WD access, and some you have to hike or horseback into. The amount of effort required to reach a stream usually correlates with the quality of the experience. (larger fish, dry flies, few if any other anglers, etc.) I figure I could spend a lifetime and not really explore all these streams in that area of Colorado/northern New Mexico. I have found similar situations in other areas that I've explored---northern Colorado, the driftless area in the upper midwest, the Shenandoah, upstate New York and Missouri....

I am a information nut and a map fanatic. I find it easy to spend hours on Google Earth looking for potential new fishing areas/streams. A trip report on a forum with only a few clues will send me on a virtual exploration that can last for hours. Likewise, I'll scour all the books, magazine articles, conservation dept. sites and any web info that I can find about an area to plan my trip. Public access is really important. I find that some of the famous rivers and destinations often have great and more isolated fishing in their headwaters. If you are exploring out west there are a couple of situations that can limit the exploration experience. Some watersheds are simply not productive or perhaps there is damage due to mine leaching in the watershed and the other is that some watersheds were decimated by whirling disease.

Since you are part of this site, I'm guessing that you spend quite a bit of time thinking, researching destinations---the biggest barrier (for me anyway) is just getting the wheels in motion. There are no secret, large watersheds. Pick one that has a good reputation for fish---likely the tributaries and headwaters will also. I'm not aware of many large river systems in a wilderness area in Colorado--in fact the larger rivers often define the boundaries of the wilderness. If there was one then I imagine the fishing could be fantastic---like the Gunnison in the Black Canyon. Find a camping area or small town---put up a tent or rent a cabin for a week and start exploring. Know your limits. I've got to admit, I do way too much exploring alone and it would be better to find a partner. I take a number of extra precautions when I'm alone. Hence, the decisions explained in the trip report. At my age, though, I'm finding fewer folks, willing to 4 wheel for 2 hours and then hike for 3-5 hours just to see how the fishing is. If you are not comfortable and experienced in the back country then focus on streams with some degree of road access. The biggest brown, I've caught was caught next to a busy highway on public access.

Sometimes the local flyshops will help out with some clues to good candidate streams but in general I find that their advice (unless you are often returning customer) is pretty generic and targeted to the well known public waters. However, I've also found that when you ask a specific question about a given stream (no matter how remote) you know you are going to try---they'll some times offer up a little jewel of advice. They or their guides have fished most of the water in the area--if they haven't they aren't going to be in business long.

If you are like me, after your first trip to such an area, you will have gained so much first-hand knowledge of the area that you'll be faced with a conundrum---come back to this area and explore it more thoroughly to branch out to new areas. You'll just keep adding must-fish streams to your list. I fish a lot with one guy (not on this list). He and I try to spend each summer camping our way through some part of Colorado---trying all kinds of streams in various watersheds. With a limited time available to us we have to stay flexible---the weather might create a situation where one watershed is blown out and we'll have to move to another---or we may try and follow a greendrake hatch upstream. But there are some streams/areas that we cherish---I can't wait to get him out to this stream next summer, if his knee continues to hold up.

BW