Thread: New member from the UK

New member from the UK

Hi,

Having read the rules for this new member section, I guess I'll start ...

I've been fly fishing for 2 years now but I've fished for more than 20 years using bait and lures. I love fishing rivers rather than lakes as there's always something happening. Last year I joined a club which has fishing rights to the River Whitewater in Hampshire.

There is some stocking of brown trout (which I don't really agree with) but there's a good head of breeding trout along with a good head of chub and dace. I love fishing for chub and dace on the fly as well as these are truly wild fish and hooking dace on a dry fly is far harder than catching trout on a dry fly :shock:

I currently use a TFO 6' #2 fly rod here but I might upgrade to a 6'6" #3 (possibly a Greys Streamflex or an Echo Carbon) as I feel that I need a little bit more rod length to aid line control. I've got a 7'6" rod which I find too long. Lots of overhanging branches!

I'm hoping that I'll be able to pick up a lot of tips and techniques here to help my fishing.

Re: New member from the UK

Thanks Lawrence.

We aren't looking to be the biggest, just trying to keep the quality up.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    Thanks Lawrence.

We aren't looking to be the biggest, just trying to keep the quality up.
    I fully understand your reasoning ... I've been on flyforums.co.uk and that can just get nasty. Lots of people, lots of opinions, lots of trolls ... :?

I'm off to New Zealand for my honeymoon (4 weeks off :D ) in 2 weeks time. I've even got 2 day's fishing booked ... can you tell why I married her?

Good for you! Eveytime my wife looks at me sideways because I want to buy more fishing gear I remind her that she could of married someone who goes to the bar everynight. She usually just smiles and gives me a hug!

luredalive

I'm considering the Greys 6'6" #3 too and also Hardy's little glass brook rod,its very nice.

Welcome aboard. One of the parts of the Clyde I fish used to have a lot of Dace... easy enough to rise them, not so easy to actually hook them. Great fun trying though.

Welcome Lawrence,

I pulled out of flyrorums.co.uk last year too.

Bill :)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.