Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrap Help

Fry

Wrap Help

I have a question for all of the rod building gurus on here: if I am going for clear wraps on a blonde bamboo blank, what is the best thread to use (brand, type, color, etc.)? Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Brett

Re: Wrap Help

I am not a guru. I am a hobbiest tinkerer that gathers the guru together. White gossamer Pearsals with Flex Coat light. I have not done clear wraps but that is what I would try first. Also, use cotton gloves to keep off skin oils, snags from fingertips being rough, that sort of thing. The wraps should go clear with the application of Flex Coat. A lot of traditionalist makers will not use Flex Coat, they use varnish. I am traditionalist where I see fit, I base my practice in tradition (bamboo) but I am not beyond good practices using modern methods.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Adam gave you good advice.The only thing I would add is don't pack the wraps extremely tight and definately do not burnish the thread.
    Varnish will sometimes let the shimmers or some call it frosting or ghosting.

For absolutely water clear wraps use flex coat lite or Threadmaster wrap finish.

Need any additional info just ask.
    Will

Big show off.

*grinning*

Fry

Great info guys, thanks a lot. Do you think that high build in a very thin layer would do the same as light?

all good tips,the fexcoat needs to be diluted,i use 1 part resine 1 part hardener,mix together for 2 min.the 1 part denatured alchol,mix the same,as for thread i have had goo results with YLI natural,not as many shimmer as you get with white.when the flex coat has bin on for about 10 or 15 min.squigy of the excess let cure and finish as you do normally.hope this helps ,steve

Fry

Thanks a lot guys. I'll post some pictures when I finish the rods

Fry

Ok here are some B&Ws of the 6' 2wt. I'll post better shots when I take them off of the camera. The rod is a one piece, blonde in color with white wraps and green tipping with a seafoam green agate stripping guide.

Very cool.

Kailua is where I did my intermediate hang gliding practice. Just where the highway comes down to the flats, there is a sailboat shop. I would land just behind the sailboat shop in a old cattle field, taking off at the top of that foothill.

Sometimes I would come down to Kailua after taking off at Makapuu, that was later after I learned how to fly the big waves.

Over in the bay is bonefish.

Hawaii no ka oi.

Did you make the rod or build up the blank?

Fry

Very cool Adam. I'm pretty sure I know exactly the field you landed in. If I'm not mistaken, my father and I have released small populations of upland gamebirds in that field over the years in order to train our dogs.

Unfortunately, I do not have the time or funds to build blanks myself (as I am a full time college student and a Div. I athlete). Making blanks is something I'd like to get into as soon as I have the time and money. This rod was a gift to a friend, and I picked the blank up from an ebay vendor for cheap. I'm actually very satisfied by the way that it performs, for being so cheap.

I'm also finishing up a 0wt cane rod on a blank built by a rod maker by the name of Tony Spezio. I'll be sure to post more pics of both rods soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.