Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Juan River

San Juan River

The river was flowing at 475 CFS (too low for my liking). However, it was flowing somewhat clear. There was quite a bit of snow on the ground but it seemed to keep a lot of folks away. The air temperature high was in the 40's, sunny with no wind. Here is a view of the dam from the Beaver Flats area.

This fish started out the day for me. The action was fairly constant.

Re: San Juan River

My fishng buddy, Chuck P. of Los Alamos with his best fish of the day. He said, "Five more casts and then we'll go watch some football." He caught it on the third cast.

This fish was the day's best. Over twenty inches long. The going patterns were Chocolate Emerger, Desert Storm and scud.

mikeytwoshoes

very nice. weather looks great.
    I am a big fan of chocolate emerger...

NICE!

Fry

Thanks for the update! Looked like a great day to be fishing.

nice.

Great!
    Since I have never fished such a large body of water, I wonder how you chose water to put your fly.

Hello Satoshi,

I look for the three positions that trout are located in a stream or river; feeding lie, resting lie and a primary lie. A feeding lie is where a trout can feed at ease. A resting lie is protection from elements and predators (us). A primary lie is a combination of a feeding lie and resting lie.

Clues for lies; opposites of extremes - fast vs. slow, shallow vs. deep, light vs. dark (water color and stream bed color). Another visual clue is the foam line; natural funnel for the insects therefore a trout will set up there. Physical elements in the river or stream will also influence my decision on where and how to fish it; undercut bank, shelfs in the stream bed, boulders, etc.

I am very confident in "reading the water".

Hope this explains a little. Thomas.

I look for the three positions that trout are located in a stream or river; feeding lie, resting lie and a primary lie. A feeding lie is where a trout can feed at ease. A resting lie is protection from elements and predators (us). A primary lie is a combination of a feeding lie and resting lie.

Clues for lies; opposites of extremes - fast vs. slow, shallow vs. deep, light vs. dark (water color and stream bed color). Another visual clue is the foam line; natural funnel for the insects therefore a trout will set up there. Physical elements in the river or stream will also influence my decision on where and how to fish it; undercut bank, shelfs in the stream bed, boulders, etc.

I am very confident in "reading the water".

Hope this explains a little. Thomas.
    Thomas,
    Thank you. I'd like to try these clues someday. I will.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.