Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hooks

Re: Hooks

Hi terry... :)

I'm a little obsessed with hooks... not just because I can't afford slick rods and reels, 'though that's maybe part of it. So I collect quite a lot.

TMC/Tiemco are solid and reliable, I'm a big fan of patterns 101, 518, 501 and 200R and use 206BL down to #24, 2488 down to #30. Because they only manufacture once a year, supply can be an issue but many dealers are awaiting 2010 stock.
    Mustads remain a great hook, albeit the smaller sizes have been discontinued (greater focus on SS and saltwater hooks going forward) so I bulk bought R50's, R30's and CS49's in #26 and #28.
    Varivas are now a major player with a very broad pattern range and lot's of smaller patterns/sizes. These are growing in popularity in the UK, represent good value and are very good quality.
    Partridge: only really use the Vince Marinaro K1A midge hook in #24 - #28 again following a deal with a local tackle shop owner who never sold a single packet, then I walked in... :ugeek: The K14ST is possibly the perfect hook for tying Roy Christie's RPE's, available down to a #20.
    Grip: relatively new to me, the 11011BL is one of the finest #24 dry fly hooks around. A peach!
    Daiichi: for me, these are the benchmark in quality hooks, the 1110 in #24 and #26 are sublime for tiny parachutes.

Thing is, I'm coming at you from a very specific angle - I only tie sub #20's and mainly sub #24's but this is a good test of hook quality: proportion, stength, manufacturing consistency, sharpness etc. Kamasan have a few #20 patterns and a #22 midge hook but tend to bottom out at #16. That said, these a good quality hooks and there are deals on boxes of 100's and 1,000's out there.

Please forgive the self-promoton but there is some hook reviews at http://www.smallflyfunk.blogspot.com including sources in the UK - all of whom will readily supply overseas customers.

If you ever find yourself with several hours spare to get in to some hardcore hook analysis, pick up a copy of Darrell Martin's "Micropatterns"... a little excessive, and some may argue quite pointless, but mind boggling to my head and eyes...

Ed Engles chapter on hooks in "Tying Small Flies" is THE reference on the subject - unparalelled. And almost all of the patterns are available in larger sizes, each photographed so subtle comparisons between similar patterns can be observed.

Hope this is of some interest and helps out a little As I say... I'm a touch obsessed :wtf:

Best,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBaird
    Please forgive the self-promoton but there is some hook reviews at http://www.smallflyfunk.blogspot.com including sources in the UK - all of whom will readily supply overseas customers.
    Self promotion is cool by me as long as it's good stuff...and after poking around some, it is!
    Like your blog very much. I'm now blogger "Follower" #24.

Straight back at ya troutrageous1! Follower #30 on board!

mickfly

No Kamasan that I know of.

I use mostly Tiemco hooks, but also use Dai-Riki, Dai-ichi, Mustad and Gamakatsu, depending on what I am tying and which hooks I am well-supplied with. I have found the older Mustad saltwater hooks to be dull, but otherwise no obvious issues with any brand.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.