Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooks

Hooks

What brand of hooks do you guys tie with? Also, is there a good on-line source for these hooks?

I am a newbie tier and I would like to find a good brand of hooks to use and stick with. I have been tying with the hook&hackle brand, but would like to switch over to a major manufacture. Mustad has my eye right now due to low cost. Thanks

Re: Hooks

It really depends on the pattern I am tying . As to anything Mustad, ya want to get that straight from Norway (Signature Hooks) . When I am designing stye of hook will determine what brand I use . Sure as heck would like to get a hold of more of those Swedish Dry Fly Hooks (especially in the 18's) !!!

Terry,

I use Mustads.

Shop some of the sites online and you can find Mustads that are mfg in Norway.

H and H has some of them available.

- Brk Trt

Are the ones made in Norway superior to the U.S. models?

I don't think their superior.

What they are is very consistant, in size, strength, sharpness and finish.

I have some old Mustads that are packed in wax wrap and in cardboard boxes.

- Brk Trt

I used to use mustad 94840 & 9671 & 9672 among others I still have a few left. They quit making them. They brought out another series but I'm not sure what the # are. I am going to with tiemco. I already use some for different midge patterns and pheasat tails and stimulators or hoppers. these ar curved 2457, 2487, 2488 and 200R. I also have some 100 & 101 for dry flies. They are about the same price as the new mustad and I think they are sharper. :)

The Norwegian Mustads are very consistent in their quality, which to me, makes them much better then the Mustads you would get in the U.S . I do look for the Mustad Signature Hooks.
    I have seen a higher quality in a lot of the European hooks over that in the United States !!!!
    I prefer tying on a higher quality hook . My customers prefer this as well even though it makes the price of my flies a little higher !!!! ;)

utahtu

I have used Mustad for years and have found their newer Signature series to be excellent. I especially like their 3906 and 3906B for nymphs.

I switched to Tiemco's a few years back, but found that they had a tendency to get straightened out on larger trout.

I have recently been using Dai-Riki with excellent results.

I use to care but now I pretty much just buy the hooks I need for a particular fly at the lowest cost unless I have an immediate need. Some of the older hooks are more brittle, have larger barbs, and need sharpening before use. None of these negatives are terribly important to me since most hooks break on something other than the fish; I pinch or file down the barbs, and sooner or later most hooks need sharpening. Just because a pattern calls for a particular hook doesn't mean it is necessary. If money isn't an object then go for quality. If it is an issue than just find inexpensive hooks. They'll work fine.

Randy

Do you get kamasan hooks in the US?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.