Thread: haystacks

haystacks

Here are a few of Fran Better's haystack pattern. These are tied with a woodchuck tail and an adams gray body.

Re: haystacks

Real nice Terry, the flare on those wings is sweet :geek:

Best,
    Andy

Great job on those Haystacks.

- Brk Trt

ulf_hagstrom

Very, very nice ones! I also dig that flair in the wings, great stuff!

Ulf

Very nice, what's your method of ensuring the wing stays straight up without sloping forward? I've seen a method on youtube where after tying in the wing you pull it back in bunches and wind thread in fornt of each bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by rossa
    Very nice, what's your method of ensuring the wing stays straight up without sloping forward? I've seen a method on youtube where after tying in the wing you pull it back in bunches and wind thread in front of each bunch.
    First I tie in the hair for the wing, then I wrap the thread down to were I am going to tie in the tail. After tying in the tail I dub the body to the back of the wing. After that I push the hair up to the height I want it to be and wrap the thread with dubbing on it tightly against the front of the hair. I build it up to the correct height and finish the fly.

Hope this helps.

Nice fly. I also do the same thing. I them in bwo, pmd, even caddis only using darlon or zelon for a trailing shuck works great.

Quote Originally Posted by trout-nut
    Nice fly. I also do the same thing. I them in bwo, pmd, even caddis only using darlon or zelon for a trailing shuck works great.
    Yeah they are a good fly with many color possibilities. I first started to tie and fish them because of how cheap hair is compared to hackle.

The flies are nicely proportioned and the flair of the hair very neatly done. They are great ties Terry.

Jeanne

Quote Originally Posted by terry
    Quote Originally Posted by rossa
    Very nice, what's your method of ensuring the wing stays straight up without sloping forward? I've seen a method on youtube where after tying in the wing you pull it back in bunches and wind thread in front of each bunch.
    First I tie in the hair for the wing, then I wrap the thread down to were I am going to tie in the tail. After tying in the tail I dub the body to the back of the wing. After that I push the hair up to the height I want it to be and wrap the thread with dubbing on it tightly against the front of the hair. I build it up to the correct height and finish the fly.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks, that's the way I've done it. But I can't stop the wing from sloping forward, more practice required I'd say.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.