Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Tenkara Importer

Re: New Tenkara Importer

Free is the best price. :) Go to the next one and ask the gent if he'd be willing to show you the ropes on-stream! :)

Fry

Quote Originally Posted by dynamicron
    still need to say hello on tenkarausa.

cheers!
    I'll look forward to seeing you over there, post about your first tenkara trout!

You'll find TenkaraUSA to be a really pleasant company to do business with. Daniel is a genuinely nice guy who will go out of his way to help you out. If you're worried about money, not sure you'll like tenkara, or find you don't like it, they have a flexible return policy and a good product guarantee.

dynamicron

Quote Originally Posted by gstrand
    Free is the best price. :) Go to the next one and ask the gent if he'd be willing to show you the ropes on-stream! :)
    well, you know what, i am not sure if that gentleman goes fishing anywhere else but the local still waters anymore. first, he wasn't really aware of any streams in the area so i assume that still waters are his main interest (or there aren't any streams here :shock: --i surely need those books to come in...). if i would have to guess i would say that he is in his 70s and happy with meeting his fishing buddies every sunday at the lake.

dynamicron

Quote Originally Posted by LMarshall
    I'll look forward to seeing you over there, post about your first tenkara trout!

You'll find TenkaraUSA to be a really pleasant company to do business with. Daniel is a genuinely nice guy who will go out of his way to help you out. If you're worried about money, not sure you'll like tenkara, or find you don't like it, they have a flexible return policy and a good product guarantee.
    thanks, lmarshall, that's a nice thing to say!

will certainly post a picture of my first catch on the tenkarausa forum. by the way, did daniel mention that there will be another type of rod available soon? i have the feeling that i read that somewhere a few days back but can't find his post anymore. wondering what kind of rod that might be...

Fry

thanks, lmarshall, that's a nice thing to say!

will certainly post a picture of my first catch on the tenkarausa forum. by the way, did daniel mention that there will be another type of rod available soon? i have the feeling that i read that somewhere a few days back but can't find his post anymore. wondering what kind of rod that might be...
    I remember reading that post too. It sounded like they were going to offer a new rod to replace the 6:4 Ayu (the 5:5 Ayu will remain the product line up). I'd speculate that the new rod will be targeted at anglers who also want to fish bigger streams/rivers with their tenkara tackle. It'll likely be 13 ft long, with a stiffer 6:4 or 7:3 action. Personally I'd be interested to see a 14 or 15 ft tenkara rod on the market.

Here's Daniel's post on it: http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/view...t=142&start=20

I agree with what LMarshall says here.

This is good advice.

Orvis has stood the test of time, TenkaraUSA has not but I do see a comparison...
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

dynamicron

that's it, thanks! didn't remember if it would add another option for me next to the yamame and the iwana. i am glad that it won't. over-analyzing the whole purchase the way it is :crazy: . as it stands, the 12' iwana is still my first choice.

Fry

that's it, thanks! didn't remember if it would add another option for me next to the yamame and the iwana. i am glad that it won't. over-analyzing the whole purchase the way it is :crazy: . as it stands, the 12' iwana is still my first choice.
    No problem!

I have the 12' Iwana, although I haven't tried the other rods, I have a feeling you'll be happy with it. I'll let others chime in on how the two Yamame and Iwana compare.

I remember when word leaked that a new "backpacking" rod was about to be released, and a lot of us were trying to guess what it would be like. I don't think anyone guessed quite right. There's just no way to know. A new rod would add a new option, and if you lived in the great white north, I would certainly wait until it was released. (Tenkara rods are just a bit too long for ice fishing.) In sunny southern California, though, you can fish now so I don't know if I'd wait or not. Maybe send Daniel an email and ask when it is expected to be available (though he may be able to nail it down to the specific date). I think it would have to be relatively soon or he wouldn't have mentioned it, though.

All that said, it sounds like you have already done your homework on the different rods, and the 12 foot Iwana is a great choice as long as you're not going to be going after those big California largemouths. Great all-around length (the Ayu really is a bit too long for small brushy streams, and the 11 foot Iwana seems just a bit short on larger rivers or even medium sized ponds). It casts beautifully, weighs almost nothing and makes a 9 incher feel like a serious fish. You'll love it.

dynamicron

Quote Originally Posted by CM_Stewart
    All that said, it sounds like you have already done your homework on the different rods, and the 12 foot Iwana is a great choice as long as you're not going to be going after those big California largemouths. Great all-around length (the Ayu really is a bit too long for small brushy streams, and the 11 foot Iwana seems just a bit short on larger rivers or even medium sized ponds). It casts beautifully, weighs almost nothing and makes a 9 incher feel like a serious fish. You'll love it.
    my dear wife just revealed to me that she would like to buy me the iwana as gift for my birthday next month. now that's a nice surprise! got to love my woman. happy hubby through and through :D

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.