Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to extend a 7 foot furled leader?

Re: how to extend a 7 foot furled leader?

Quote Originally Posted by bark-eater
    Im still trying to figure out the snap and quiver that happens when the fly reaches the end of the loop. Do the real tenkara rods do this when improperly "loaded"?
    Yes, but not nearly as much because the tip section on a tenkara rod is extremely flexible, much moreso than on the Cabela's pole, and that takes up some of the "snap." I think the snap you feel at the end of the cast is the line straightening out fully without having dissipated all of it's energy to wind resistance so the remaining momentum tugs on the rod. If you are casting a line that is too heavy it is quite noticeable, and your cut down flyline is probably too heavy. On the other hand, if your line is too light it doesn't have enough energy and wind resistance kills the forward momentum before it can turn over the tippet. Probably the primary reason level lines in Japan are fluorocarbon rather than nylon mono like the ebay line is that it is much denser and thus less susceptible to wind resistance. Fluorocarbon casts much more easily, but mono is a lot cheaper and available in a range of hi-vis colors. As far as I know, the only hi-vis fluorocarbon for tenkara lines available in the US is the pink line that Tenkara USA sells. I think the ebay line might be more visible in low light conditions and 17# mono is heavy enough to cast, though not as easily as the 15# fluorocarbon.

Fry

Chris, you beat me to the punch!

Woody, If you find you're really interested in tenkara I'd recommend the Iwana from TenkaraUSA. At around $130 it's cost is really minor compared to what you'd spend on new fly line, reel, and rod, and I can guarantee you'll get just as much enjoyment out of it. I'm a broke college student, so cost is always a concern.

I bought some of the 17# level line on ebay just to see what it was like. I haven't had a chance to fish with it yet, but I think I'm going to like it quite a bit better than the 17# golden Stren which has been my low light line of choice. It is extremely visible - to the point where if I get skunked I'll probably blame it on the line for scaring the fish :mrgreen: . In low light conditions, though, I think it will be very nice indeed. I think I know what line it is, but if I'm right it's been discontinued and ebay seems to be the only remaining source. You can readily buy a very similar line in 15# or 20#, but 15# may be just a bit light and 20# is just a bit heavy (and I think it only comes in 900 or 650 yard spools - and just what are you going to do with the other 896 yards?).

I still prefer fluorocarbon except for low light conditions, though.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.