Thread: Anyone else here Method or wet-shavers?

Anyone else here Method or wet-shavers?

Wondering... anyone else do it the old way? I try to more often then not... My main tool is a Merkur 38C...

Re: Anyone else here Method or wet-shavers?

Uh Gus if you are talking about shaving your face I can't offer any wit or wisdom. I haven't shaved since 1975.I trim my beard and mustache once a week with a pair of scissors and keep it short and neat.You don't realize how much of a pain in the arse shaving is until you stop doing it.
    Will

for about 3 years I have been shaving with 1950s Gillettes, Badger Brushes, and Shave soaps/creams ( I like Col Conk Bayrum soap).

I've used a few different brands of blades, but finally settled on Feathers, being unquestionably sharp... though decidedly more costly than the other brands. (However, at $0.50/Blade... its still a bargain vs. modern catridges).

Ultimately for me, I started shaving this way because I felt it offered less irritation than cartridge razors. Now I continue because it works, and its damn cost effective, and seems much better for the environment.

As a side benefit... DE blades are great for fly tying.

Quote Originally Posted by rayfound
    for about 3 years I have been shaving with 1950s Gillettes, Badger Brushes, and Shave soaps/creams ( I like Col Conk Bayrum soap).

I've used a few different brands of blades, but finally settled on Feathers, being unquestionably sharp... though decidedly more costly than the other brands. (However, at $0.50/Blade... its still a bargain vs. modern catridges).

Ultimately for me, I started shaving this way because I felt it offered less irritation than cartridge razors. Now I continue because it works, and its damn cost effective, and seems much better for the environment.

As a side benefit... DE blades are great for fly tying.
    Greendrake, the Mrs. hates my beard, so I decided a while ago if I HAD to shave, I was going to enjoy it. Just really "getting in to it" these days, less casually more seriously.

rayfound, yep, it's cheaper than modern cartridges, and frankly, I look forward to shaving when I have the time for the DE.

Haven't tried Feathers, been using Merkur blades, but have a pack of 50 Derby's coming... Have heard about the Feathers being wicked sharp, tho. The local close shop carries the Merkurs, so that's been what I pick up. They've been about $.60 per blade because it's a specialty shop, thus why I'm trying the Derbys. Col Conk is good stuff. I like it. Currently using the Shea Butter cream/soap from Target bought on a whim a couple weeks ago, won't buy it again... Have a new cake of Amber soap I'm waiting to open till this stuff is gone... if I can wait...

Way less irritation for me too...

-G

I like Derbys... used them for over a year with little trouble... but not as consistently Ginsu sharp as the feathers. The price/value on the derby's can't be beat... I think when I bought them I got 100 blades for $15, and it came with 2 tree tubes of cream that Derby was introducing. I don't have a super full beard, but my hair is VERY coarse... so That's why I like the sharpest blade I can find.

When I really want a good shave... I load a feather in a Gillette adjustable and crank it all the way to aggressive... you gotta be careful, but its a great smooth shave.

I just absolutely love the economics of it all.

mikeytwoshoes

I handle the economics of it all by shaving once a week come hell or high water.
    maybe that's (one of the reasons) why I'm always so scraggly looking.

Thats me I save water don't need no stinkin blades and all the fu-fu juices that go with it. :D I really can't remember the last time I had shaved and I don't know right now if I ever will.

Now I got it.

I use a Gillette single edge and a badger bristle?

I'll take a picture.

When I want a close shave, that's what I use but for everyday, I use a Fusion buzzer.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.