Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: May 2009

Re: May 2009

Brk Trt, jimp,
    Thank you very much for your comments.

Alpinefly,
    Very beautiful pictures and fish !!! I am curious :think: , with all the overcast (rain), do you have a species of Blue Winged Olive Mayfly that hatches there in Japan ????
    I don't know much about insects. Besides, I haven't seen the mayflies you call "BWO" by my eyes. But I think the answer depends on the definition of BWO. If you call mayflies belong to the genus Ephemerella "BWO", we certainly have some BWOs hatching usually from spring to early summer, though I don't think they are the same species you have in your country.

mikeytwoshoes

ephermerella are not bwo's.
    ephermerellae genus icludes pmd's, drakes and flavs.

bwo's are baetis.

mikey,
    ephermerella are not bwo's.
    ephermerellae genus icludes pmd's, drakes and flavs.

bwo's are baetis.
    Thank you for the information. I know BWOs are abundant in the rivers in the US. Then, the flyfishing in the US seems actually a little bit more difficult than I thought.
    And yes, we have several baetis species (BWOs), in Japan, though I think they are probably different species from those you have in your country. Baetis mayflies are also thought to be very important insects in fly fishing by many people here.

mikeytwoshoes

eh...fly fishing here can be stupid easy or stupid tough.
    part of the beauty of it.

BWO as a common fly name is a strange one. As Mikey said in the US they are Baetis, here in the UK and in Western Europe they are Ephemerella (In the UK specifically Ephemerella Ignita, not sure about the rest of Europe)....... Also just to confuse matters further.... the Ephemerella Ignita has been re-classified as Seratella Ignita.
    If you buy pre-dyed dubbing packs from any of the big companies the "BWO" colour of dubbing is usually a lot darker than the BWO insects we get here in the UK as most of the companies are geared toward the bigger US market.

BWO as a common fly name is a strange one. As Mikey said in the US they are Baetis, here in the UK and in Western Europe they are Ephemerella (In the UK specifically Ephemerella Ignita, not sure about the rest of Europe)....... Also just to confuse matters further.... the Ephemerella Ignita has been re-classified as Seratella Ignita.
    If you buy pre-dyed dubbing packs from any of the big companies the "BWO" colour of dubbing is usually a lot darker than the BWO insects we get here in the UK as most of the companies are geared toward the bigger US market.
    Oh :o
    I know you call a single group of insect different names, caddis and sedge, but now, you call different groups of insects the same name!? As I wrote, I thought baetis were Ephemerella. Perhaps this knowledge came from UK. Thank you, palewatery. Latin names are useful in these situations (that's why it was invented from the first place...), if only they wouldn't often change them. In Japan, we call the mayflies belong to baetis "kokagerou (koh-kah-gue-rou)." "ko"means "small" and "kahguerou" means "mayfly". So, the word literally means "small mayfly."

smallstreams.com plankowner

I enjoy your posts immensely Satoshi. I envy the "exotic" and beautiful species of your land as I believe you marvel at the beauty of the brook trout we have here. If only we could switch places for a day...

If only we could switch places for a day...
    Wallyran, this is exactly what I wish.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.