Thread: Digital Cameras

smallstreams.com plankowner ags's Avatar
    Md.- DC Suburb. - Fly fish trout streams of Pennsylvania.

Digital Cameras

Heights & Depths - deep thinking, thoughts, and support

Have classified this as a support question. First, have to admit that the more I aged, the more my Luddite tendencies increase! So, am way behind the curve when it comes to technical stuff.

But, what digital camera would you recommend for a novice? Want to use it when fishing for trout. Can a quality digital camera be purchased, new for $150 - $300?

mikeytwoshoes

Re: Digital Cameras

absolutely.
    and I'm nothing but a novice shutterbug myself. as a fisherman I highly recommend getting a waterproof camera for the simple and practical reason is that it is basically worry free. wether you take underwater photos or not you don't have to worry about getting the camera wet.

pentax wp series always seems to be highly recommended, though as they keep releasing new models they get pricier and pricier. nonetheless bargains can easily be found. olympus also makes a series of waterproof cameras - I have one of these and am fairly satisfied w/ the images I get, though it seems to me that the pentax gets better images. I bought the olympus because of price and easily purchased at big box electronic store. to get the pentax in my rather large town required ordering on-line.

but yes you can certainly get a decent compact camera in the price range you mentioned and these daze most models seem to be basically idiot proof.

I bought the Pentax Optio W60 last summer, and it has been incredible. The only thting is, I got it for about $300 last year, and now it's showing $450 or so on amazon. Check for a better deal if you want one.

The two coolest features are that it's waterproof, and as a bonus it shoots what they call 1cm Macro. The clarity up close is astounding, and I was so enamored with that when I first got it that I spent the first few weeks shooting macro of everything in my yard for kicks.

As a straight up point and shoot camera it's nothing special, but I shot some good pics with it all the same.

smallstreams.com plankowner ags's Avatar
    Md.- DC Suburb. - Fly fish trout streams of Pennsylvania.

mikeytwoshoes and 3creeks,

Thank you for the suggestions and info. on digital cameras. Hope to put it to good use.

ags

ditto on Optio Pentax.

There is a huge shutter lag, worse than other digital cameras I've owned but I have learned to deal with it and love the camera.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

I use an olympus 1050. Waterproof, drop proof, and takes decent pics. Got it on sale for $150 at adorama.com

http://www.adorama.com/IOMS1050SWBK....earchinfo=1050

You can see pics I took using it here:

http://www.smallstreams.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16

I'm holding out for a more compact, waterproof digital elph from canon. The D10 is great, but a little bulky for my taste. The pentax and the oylmpus have the issue of not being canon (what can I say, I have pretty strong brand loyalty to Canon).

Just bought a Pentax Optio W80 for 170.00 on Ebay... :sunny: barely used and in mint condition..

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.