Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New tenkara rod for backpackers

mikeytwoshoes

Re: New tenkara rod for backpackers

HAH! I read mere christianity every morning to my wife as she drove to work a few years back.
    very interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by wrknapp
    PS. Adam, a few years back in your spiritual meanderings I suggested you read CS Lewis's MERE CHRISTIANITY. If your still looking around I now also recommend THE SHACK by William P. Young.
    Cool.

I have a ton of stuff to study, I'm organizing my thoughts, I will get back to you soon on the direction of my study...
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Well, just sold my Hane. (Thanks to smallstreams by the way) so thought I'd post why:

Certainly a good looking rod and the 16 inch collapsed package is impressively small. I only fished it once and landed a couple 14 inch fat hatchery bows. Plenty of backbone and I didn't feel it stressed the rod. Surprisingly I didn't miss the length but I was fishing 10-12 foot wide water. So I think it could be a very effective brushy stream rod and is capable of throwing very accurately.

So what made me give up on it after one outing? Feel. This is a very stiff rod. The minute I started to cast it, I felt I had to muscle it. I had a Ayu that I had fished from small streams to large alpine lakes. In addition had backpacked with it everywhere, and strapped along side my tent poles its 20 inch length was just not a problem, so the package size is not that important to me. The Hane just didn't load easily. I ended up using the heaviest furled leader I had to cast with the Hane. The bow and arrow cast which I use a lot on small streams just did not work as well either. Just not the delicate presentation I have enjoyed nor the effortless casting stoke. I am much happier with my 11 foot Iwana (thanks JB) and the smooth cast.

Every rod of course is a compromise and the Hane was designed to to cover a larger fish in a smaller package. But it does not feel particularly lively to me. If someone ends up with only the Hane to judge tenkara, I am afraid their impression may be limiting. Others may have a different impression of this rod and it certainly is appealing to many anglers with both subscription sold out in less than 24 hours. Daniel and Ryan definitely have a hot product.

Hi Adam, Chris, and Soft-touch,

I've enjoyed reading this thread; and as the Tenkara Style of Fly Fishing is very much in it's infancy here in the UK, it's good to get some knowledge of the method! Adam, in one of you posts on this thread, you stated that it is possible to shorten the butt sections a couple of times, when fishing an overgrown small stream! would this affect the action and or the strength of the Tenkara Rod, Say a Tenkara USA Iwana? That's the model I'm considering!

Chris, can you explain or maybe provide some photos or diagrams on some of the casting techniques? Bow N Arrow? and any other method that could be used on a : Tree and Bushy lined Stream, with very limited room for casting? Also, when playing a fish; would it be good practise to shorten the rod sections to allow the angler to lift the rod and land his catch?

Soft-touch, I liked your Truthful and reasoned explanation of why the Iwana may be more suitable then the Hane!

I too like a softer actioned rod! Thanks!

Regards

Mostyn

Headwater fishing in Arizona

I do not advocate the use of "compressing" a tenkara rod down for tight quarters casting. As a matter of fact, I would probably skip a section if I had to do that but given the chance at a good section, I might do it. The above is a fly rod adventure where I broke the rod in half and used the tip for a little flik cast into a bucket.

For tenkara, I am not targeting tight mountain valley streams, that is best for a short fly rod.

I am zeroing in on a 11' Tenkara rod that packs up to 14" It has eleven sections, is a thinner diameter butt section than normal, has a shaped cork grip (not circular cross section) and is made for headwaters. This is only one rod in a series of tenkara rods and is not a Tenkarausa.com model. If I purchase the rod, I will review it. I am also looking at a Shimano at a similar length...

Anyway, the rod will flex differently when compressed or shortened due to the new butt section not having as much "wood" as the full butt.

er, or something like that.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Adam, out curiosity, how do these rods your looking at compare to tenkarausa's rods in price?

I don't see me buying another tenkara rod unless its shorter than anything tenkarausa is offering. I also don't see me spending more than $200 on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostyn
    Chris, can you explain or maybe provide some photos or diagrams on some of the casting techniques? Bow N Arrow? and any other method that could be used on a : Tree and Bushy lined Stream, with very limited room for casting? Also, when playing a fish; would it be good practise to shorten the rod sections to allow the angler to lift the rod and land his catch?
    I would suggest you watch all the videos on the Tenkara USA site. http://www.tenkarausa.com/video.php I think all your questions are addressed. Somewhere on the site there is a line drawing illustrating the "standard" tenkara cast, but it would also be good to watch Dr. Ishigaki's casting in the videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostyn
    I too like a softer actioned rod!
    With your interest in small brushy streams and a softer actioned rod, the 11' Iwana might be ideal for you. If you get a chance to fish with Simon Hayes, it will feel very similar to his 12' Iwana.

Well, I hadn't expected to buy a Hane, but when Softouch333 wanted to sell his, what else could I do?

Anyway, intitial thoughts posted here:Tenkara Fishing Blog

Bottom line is that the rod is stiffer than I like, but if you ever need to cast a heavier line in tight quarters - either because you are fishing bushy flies or in the wind, this rod will do it well.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.