Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: backpack fly fishing

Re: backpack fly fishing

Killer, your Ruby is awesome.

There are a couple of "thru-hikes" I'm looking at. Chevlon to Woods and Lake X to headwaters...

There are others but these are a couple of easy to understand and do on a weekend.

We can chit chat about it.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

My buddy got back two weeks ago from the Chevlon jaunt. They packed in and hiked 4-6 miles to the lake - 2 days exploring. Had a blast.

I'm planning my second Mt. Whitney ascent this coming summer, and I plan to make it a trip through the Golden Trout Wilderness first. I'll hike in, camp, fish, and then summit Whitney. The descent is great, in that the streams that you cross on the main Whitney trail are full of trout. It's gonna be epic.

As far as fishing gear goes, last year I borrowed a buddy's 4 piece graphite rod. It packed down nice and small, but being a cane enthusiast I want to take my new Mike Shay FE Thomas 7' 3 wt. with me. I don't normally carry a walking stick, but I was wondering if there's any product out there that can hold a rod tube and double as a walking stick. :idea: I guess just the tube would suffice, but I don't want to beat it up since it's so nice.

Hmm, a carbon fiber tube? Gel pad the ends so it doesn't mess with the ferrule or tip or what ever and make sure the rod bag is soft not to wear the finish. Hmm, maybe look at a 7071 thicker walled aluminum tube? or even a bamboo section with damns removed?

Personally, I would just strap it to the side of your pack, guys hike with skiis all the time...

I'm stoked to read about your trip planning and your choices.

I'm in a similar way with having a bamboo pack rod made for me by S.Kiley

Good idea about the hollowed out culm section. I assume that's what you meant.(?) I like the idea of taking my new toy (and saving several hundred bucks in not having to buy a graphite pack rod). I do wonder about spending 3 or 4 days with that thing in my hand, where I'm normally accustomed to going hands free.

My trip is still in the planning stages, and it's missing company for now. The fishing and camping part, well, that's easy to find people to join up for. But hiking to the summit of the highest peak in the lower 48 is not something a lot of folks want to do. I trained from February to August for it last year, but if you're in great condition already it shouldn't be a problem.

You should consider a Tenkara rod.

Yes, I did think of that.

mikeytwoshoes

if you must take the bamboo rod, use the tube as a staff. wear and tear adds character. culm stick would be too heavy and uncomfortable in hand. finally, no way a tenkara stick would be a better choice than the thomas rod anywhere.
    nothing a tenkara rod can do that an appropriately sized fly rod can't. and the fly rod does it better.

Jeff can fish a spinning rod if he wants, that's his business, none of mine.

I can and have outfished you in some situations with a Tenkara rod and for hike in small streams, it is an excellent choice.

...and I'm only one part of a season into it.

I'm learning more now about fly fishing from Tenkara techniques than I am from fly fishing. I am very happy to have that choice.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.