Thread: More salt water sea trout fun

smallstreams.com plankowner martin_b's Avatar

More salt water sea trout fun

Went to yet another coastal inlet with a friend yesterday. A few pics:

That's me:

Scenery:

Close to shore where small sea trout rise to tiny black flies. It's difficult to see the insects in the picture. We had a few fish to hand each - on dry flies. I wonder how often I should expect this. It doesn't happen that often that you can fish a dry fly in the salt, so for it to happen on two trips in a row is amazing!

Clear water:

Me about to land a nice little sea trout:

Hero shot:

Martin

Re: More salt water sea trout fun

Looks like you had a good day fishing. And it looks like fun!

Dry fly action in the salt?

Amazing.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Well, when you think about it; the sea trout were born in the streams where they live for about a year before they either decide to stay and become resident brown trout or go to sea and grow to a huge sea trout. One can easily imagine that the small fish that are still feeding from the surface in the salt are trout that have just recently gone to the salt and thus still "remember" their feeding habits from their birth stream. When insects then are blown out on the water near forests, the trout figure it's an easy meal :)

Quote Originally Posted by martin_b
    Well, when you think about it; the sea trout were born in the streams where they live for about a year before they either decide to stay and become resident brown trout or go to sea and grow to a huge sea trout. One can easily imagine that the small fish that are still feeding from the surface in the salt are trout that have just recently gone to the salt and thus still "remember" their feeding habits from their birth stream. When insects then are blown out on the water near forests, the trout figure it's an easy meal :)
    True enough, but still cool as hell. How do they tend to behave in the inlets? Close to shore, far out, deep or shallow etc

They're generally quite close to shore where they forage. Normally you start casting before even placing a foot in the water, and many (big) fish are caught in as little as a foot of water. In the summer though, the fish tend to stay out in the deep water on the open coast and only come close to shore at night/early morning. Inlet fishing is mainly autumn and winter fishing due to lower salt concentration which the trout seem to prefer when the water's cold.

Martin

Very cool!
    Here in Connecticut the winter months of Dec., Feb. & March are best for sea runs. We don't have a big fishery for them but they are around and hard to catch. Most are sea run brown trout but some sea run brook trout called "Salters" are also caught.
    I caught one sea run brown at the base of a dam on a river not far from the tidal area back in Feb.
    This dam does not have a fish ladder so the sea runs tend to congregate here during winter.
    The sea runs are very spooky fish partly because the time they spend in salt water they are evading predators like bluefish & striped bass. Winter is the best time to fish for sea runs as the blues have headed south and the stripers are in the larger rivers wintering over.
    I've caught some of the sea run off spring on a certain stream near me.
    This stream has a fish ladder with a very large pond and small river above. The pond has so many different species of fish it is incredible. Small striped bass have been known to go up the fish ladder meant for the trout into the pond. Locals have caught striped bass in the pond over 20 lbs on their small freshwater gear! Those that didn't get broken off that is.
    I've caught the sea run off spring on that stream above the pond in the river at the base of a smaller dam with no ladder. Very hard spot to fish though. Can only roll cast there. But they are little jewels of a fish.
    Guys up in Maine sight cast to sea runs in the shallow tidal areas this time of year.
    That is on my to do list.
    Please post more sea trout reports & pics, can't get enough!
    Great stuff, thanks!
    A.T.

Thanks for the comments AT. I will definitely be back with more sea run brown reports, counting the days till season opening on April 1st now!

April is here and your season is open again. Enjoy!
    Look forward to the upcoming sea run reports.
    We've had some flooding here in CT so no sea runs for me for now. I'm headed inland to a small stream on Sunday morning. They tend to get back to normal quicker than the larger streams.
    A.T.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.